Gansevoort Park Avenue

420 Park Avenue South (at 29th Street), New York, NY, USA

Gansevoort Park Avenue Rates and Deals

Gansevoort Park Avenue New York Reviews

Gastronomygals Gastrono…
“No One Apologises Like The Gansevoort Park Ave...again and again and again etc” Mar 30, 2011
Gastronomy Gals have been on the road again. If only it was as enjoyable as the song. Some readers may remember last October we posted a review on The One Group's flagship brand The Gansevoort Hotel in NYC's trendy Meatpacking district property in downtown Manhattan. That review was not on their finest day. It told of wheelchair bathrooms with twelve in steps instead of flat entries, rusty tables, cushions bike chained to sofas and $400 bottles of wine served in plastic cups. We wrote a piece called "GANSEVOORT POLISH YOUR STARS BEFOR THEY FALL OUT OF THE SKY."

Well it seems it hit a nerve because we were contacted by a senior staff member and offered a comped night when we returned in March to our base in New York City. Well the lady involved left the company, unknown to us. When we contacted The Gansevoort no one seemed to have a clue about the arrangement, that should have been my first warning sign... I mean the not having a clue part!

Eventually we were contacted by their General Manager making what seemed a generous mea culpa as they suggested instead of a comped night in the meatpacking district property, would we like to come see their new Park Ave location. We were assured they had this time gotten it right. All the problems previously it seemed, we were told the fault not of The Gansevoort, but that they rented out the catering side to a third party and the tawdry state of things was their fault?

Well we checked in, it was indeed beautiful, the room was 5 star, the comped bottle of red wine was delicous and the amazing front desk even went as far as finding a Vegan pizzeria in Manhattan. After 24 hrs of flying we had our meal in a beds that was like strato cumulus clouds floated in just for us. Then we got up the next morning to the meet amazing Marc who served the Vegan breakfast to die for with the endless cup of perfect espresso. We thought wow!

And that is where the Wow ended. We went out for the day. The room wasn't cleaned in 9 hours and when it was it was a second rate job (we stayed 3 days and rubbish from the first hour was never cleaned and the bathroom was missed 2 out of 3 days). Then the much touted dinner arranged by the GM complete wiht vegan meals was upon us. We were excited and dressed up. I''m wheelchair bound so I asked that they not box me in, not put me near a door as my wheelchair is custom and expensive and also new. However, I was kicked in the wheels nine times once so violently by restaurant staff that my chair lifted off the ground.

From bad to worse, my spouse and I are gay girls and we were the victim of gay slurs by staff. It was a nightmare so once again their solution, the meal was comped. The next day the GM, after we expressed the dinner debacle comped a 3rd night so that we could leave having had a more positive experience. It was becoming apparent thnat the only thing they did well was apologise.

So we stayed out of harms way, ate in our room and slept the 3rd night. The next morning as I was naked, ready for a shower and my spouse was also as nature intended a male housekeeping staff member knocked once and walked in even though there were 2 females screaming no! They were once again apologetic, happy to listen to our "concerns" but went on to say that it was the fault of a junior staff member who pressed a wrong button on a computer. What is that I'm hearing.. the sound of a buck being passed. So you guessed it they apologised AGAIN...they comped the entire stay (apologizing cost them over $2000).

Get it right or go home! The only two departments that got it right were front desk and breakfast so if you can't do it my Greek General Manager friend, sack everybody and just open a shi shi swimming pool with Michael on front desk, Marc serving breakfast and Lucas as lifeguard because, as my sainted gran used to say, all the rest could ever achieve can be done with a big stick and a basket of eggs!!

By The Way, their excuse, you can guess was they leased restaurant and catering to a thrid party at the new premiese just as they had at the original? Some people just never learn!

Gansevoort Park Avenue Overview

Uptown classic meets downtown cool at the beautifully designed 20-story building located on the corner of 29th and Park Avenue South.

Luxuriate in an indoor/outdoor heated rooftop pool with a tri-level bar, 249 spacious, elegant rooms, an exhale spa, a Cutler salon, an opulent barfeaturing infused liquors and a cozy Italian restaurant and lounge with shareable plates. Enter Gansevoort Park Avenue and leave the busy streets of midtown Manhattan behind. Downtown cool meets uptown classic in this beautifully designed new building with chic modern interiors and a three-story atrium lobby featuring herringbone granite floors, over-sized aubergine chandeliers and a fireplace. Spruce up at Cutler Salon. Treat yourself at Exhale Spa. Relax by the rooftop pool or in any of the 249 elegant rooms with lofty ceilings. Savor the views with a cocktail at Gotham's second Plunge Bar and Lounge. Sample one of the infused liquors in the elegant bar adjacent to the lobby. Share a table and Italian inspired fare at the 10, 000 sq ft Ristorante Asellina.

1 kms to city centre, 45 kms to the airport (la guardia), 50 kms to the airport (jfk).

Gansevoort Park Avenue Amenities

• Bicycle Rental
  • Excursions
  • Fitness Facilities
  • Massage
  • Internet Connection (wireless)
  • Bathrobes