Praia, Cape Verde

Gamboa Praia Reviews

Toonsarah Toonsarah
Friendly local restaurant Feb 09, 2018
This is a casual restaurant obviously popular with locals. Like a lot of restaurants in Praia it specialises in fish, but there were meat dishes too, which pleased Chris as he’s not over keen on fish. We skipped the starters as we were brought a generous basket of crusty bread for the cover, along with herby soft cheese. I wanted to have the swordfish but this wasn’t available (as seemed to be the case with a number of dishes) so I chose cod instead, but was disappointed to find that this was the dried bacalau version and far too salty for my taste. I only ate a little but did enjoy the accompanying potatoes, as did Chris his beef and chips (his first choice of turkey also being unavailable).

When the waiter noticed my barely touched fish he kindly offered to bring a replacement, suggesting one of the other fish dishes on the menu, but I declined, as by this point Chris had finished his beef. My dessert of lemon mousse, while not being very mousse-like in texture, was sharp and refreshing and Chris also liked his fruit salad, but the best bit of the meal was probably the bottle of vinho verde we drank with the food, the same Gazela I had enjoyed in the Algarve when at the VT meeting there.

When the bill came I discovered that I hadn’t been charged for the cod - a very nice gesture and one which we rewarded with a generous tip.
In Gamboa