Galta

Jaipur, India

Galta Jaipur Reviews

alexandra_h alexandr…
Galta, a pilgrimage centre Jun 17, 2011
Have you ever visited an authentic and typical place in India, only without any well known Indian hassle? I didn't know such place even exist. I was just used to the annoying vendors, staring men, crowds, noise and crazy traffic. And thought I had to live with it for the rest of the trip. Until our driver get a tip from a stranger. The unknown man seemed to know the best places in Jaipur. Everything on our to do list, like Wind Palace, was not worth it. Probably he wanted something from us, what afterwards was. He had an art shop, his sister could draw henna, and so on... what a surprise! Anyway, it was early in the morning and it was already ridiculously hot. We did not want endless discussions with a stranger about our day in Jaipur. So, despite our skepticism but also a huge lack of energy we had let him show us the most beautiful place he knew.

The road to it was already interesting. While enjoying the air conditioning in the car we overlooked the daily grind of downtown of Jaipur. Funeral here, wedding there...

Then we approached the steep and twisty road to the hill. More and more monkeys have emerged.

Are you familiar with the National Geographic show 'Monkey Business'? These monkeys I've seen here happen to be the real stars of the show and the members of the notorious Galta Gang!

Once on the top I was confronted with a magnificent view of Jaipur. Only the bustle of the city was no longer here. On the hill Galta or also well known as the Monkey Temple it is all peace and serenity.

Galta is a holy place dedicated to God Hanuman where pilgrims come. Here are some temples where ceremonies take place continuously. We were the only Western visitors and so we got a lot of attention from everyone. Several monks invited us to take a look inside.

Everywhere we go, we get a tour by a different but always a curious and friendly monk. We even get an invitation to join them for some weed smoking session. We said no and continued our walk through Galta.

Between the temples there is a pool which was used by women and young men. Women were praying and the boys playing.

Seems that once the sexes were separated, now everybody is using the same pool for their own need. Except for the monkeys, they have their own pool. Just like in the show those monkeys have a cushy life here.

The environment here is very beautiful and the atmosphere is definitely relaxed. The temples look fantastic with detailed painted walls which are perfectly integrated into the surrounding rocks. The colors of the architecture and nature fit so perfect together and form a harmonious whole.

From each window protrudes a funny monkey head. And religious music in the distance creates a pleasant atmospheric background noise: 'ram na me lene hanuman ke bina'.

This place was so amazing! Unfortunately the rest of Jaipur I found slightly disappointing.
Monkey Pool

Related Travel Blogs About Galta

Back to the place where it all started
After a long night in the train, we got up at 4 am. We still had some time before arriving in Jaipur, but we wanted to be sure we would not miss the train station and ending up somewhere else. At 4:5…Jaipur! We also wanted to see Galta, but we didn't make it to there. When we came back down…
The most peaceful day in India
9 'o clock was the time our driver picked us up at the hotel in Jaipur. I had a little bit problems with my stomach I thought in first case, so it took a bit longer for us to leave. In the end it was…Galta to Bharatpur. This town is not too far away from Jaipur, so we arrived there at 2 pm already…

Check Jaipur Hotel Deals