Galleria dell'Accademia (Accademia Gallery)

Via Ricasoli, Florence, Italy

Galleria dell'Accademia (Accademia Gallery) Florence Reviews

toddster184 toddster…
Michaleangelo's David at the Galleria Accademia (Florence, Italy) Oct 29, 2008
So you have to wait in line for about 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours to see the famed sculpture, but it sure was worth it. If you enjoy a bit of history and art in your life, you will definitely enjoy the Galleria Accademia. It houses the original statue of David by Michaelangelo among other important collections of paintings and other samples of sculptures of its time. There is about a 1 hour to 1 1/2 hour wait if you decided to do it yourself as the queue can get long as the day progress. The entrance is 10Euro and you must have exact change. The reason for that is they try to get everybody through in quickly. If you are the one loser who decides to decide how you are going to pay for this ticket, I don't think it is the staff who snarl at you but the people in the line behind you. If you decide to go with a tour, you will likely pay through the nose and will probably rushed through the gallery. I managed to go to every corner of the gallery and enjoyed every painting and sculpture that was on display. It is not a big gallery so it will not take you too long to see everything. There are no photos to be taken of David but people still manage too. Which is very interesting as I was taking photos of the other sculptures (like one of the Pietas) and some paintings right next to a museum guard and I wasn't stopped. Yet when someone took a photo of David, three of them jumped the guy. I never understood it, but I can say that it is a definite must see if you are in Florence. And don't believe people when they say that it is just the same as the one in Piazza Maggiore or Piazza Michaelangelo - it is not.
Michaelangelo's David at the Galle…
sandrasandraskobo says:
The Uffizi gallery is amazing. The only true lack is the endless queue at the entrance. I made the online booking of tickets on www.MuseumTicket.it and I did not wait more than 10 minutes!
Posted on: Feb 09, 2012
toddster184 says:
Who do you think took the picutre I uploaded!?! LOL! I took pictures to! I got caught on my last shot. But they just asked me to turn it off and put it away. I don't understant the taking pictures either. If it was a painting...yes, the flash can damage the painting. If you can take a picture of the Mona Lisa, you can sure take a picture of David is what I say.
Posted on: Oct 30, 2008
Marinushka says:
Nice review Todd! You made me remember my visit to Galleria dell'Academia...it was...mmmmm...10 years ago. And it was the same - a long long line. But you're right - it worth it. As far as I rememeber taking pictures was allowed (or nobody really cared about it:) - I had some and when I got home my grandmother looked at them in astonishment and asked my aunt (we travelled to Italy together): "How did you let our girl take pictures with a naked man???" :)
Posted on: Oct 30, 2008
hannajax hannajax
Aug 02, 2006
As with any European city, there is a huge variety of museums and galleries. Where you choose to go is a matter of preference, though I recommend that if you don't go anywhere else in Florence, you make it here. The Galleria lies close to the heart of the city, near the Duomo, and it is here where Michelangelo's David is on display, as well as many unfinished sculptures of his. Along with many exhibits of sculpture, unfinished and complete, there are paintings by the likes ofBotticelli, and you can really come to have a keener understanding of the passion these artists posessed.

Check Florence Hotel Deals