Galleria Borghese

5 Piazzale del Museo Borghese, Rome, Italy
Galleria Borghese - Galleria Borghese
Galleria Borghese - Fountain in the expansive gardens around Villa Borghese
Galleria Borghese - Great artwork to enjoy before entering the galleria.
Galleria Borghese - The gardens behind the villa are quite nice!
Galleria Borghese - Statuary outside Villa Borghese

Galleria Borghese Rome Reviews

vances vances
Museum Supreme May 18, 2012
Even though our visit was cut short (you get two hours with your ticket, but due to user error we only had a half hour), I felt this was clearly the most awesome art museum we enjoyed during our time in Italy. We had purchased advance reservation tickets for other galleries, but that is the only option for the Borghese – and despite being a bit more costly, seems to be a symptom of this institute’s devotion to art appreciation rather than commercial success. Knowing our visit would be brief, we initially moved quickly, but the beauty and tasteful presentation of so many masterpieces quickly relaxed us.

Then it dawned upon us the museum was not crowded. Unlike other museum visits where the crush of humanity tired you out, the extra you pay for Borghese has a valuable return because they don’t try to stuff the place with as many paying customers as possible. We suddenly did not feel rushed and happily wandered about.

Each room within Borghese is a treasure, home to several splendid sculptures and paintings with a high, vaulted roof magnificently painted (themes being Christianity or Roman Mythology). Architectural details abound, and most rooms had custom alcoves where busts rested, so you certainly wouldn’t do yourself any favors by hurrying along.

Of course we did zero in on a particular miracle – Bernini’s “Apollo and Daphne”. Adjectives simply haven’t been invented yet to describe this portrayal of Daphne transforming into a tree as Apollo grasps her. When we stepped into the room it was breath taking and a wonderful moment. We spent several minutes trying to absorb this incredible sculpture, and most of that time we were the only ones in the room. I shudder to think of the hand-to-hand combat we likely would have endured if this masterpiece were on display at the Uffizi. That’s the atmosphere which truly sets Borghese apart from the rest.

I won’t ramble on about the wealth of pieces here, but will add a few liner notes to help you with your visit. No photography is permitted inside the Galleria, but the outside of the building is pretty, landscaped with gardens, fountains and statuary. If you head downstairs at the front entrance, you will find the ticket office and gift shop down below. In addition, this is where you need to check your packs, umbrellas or large handbags. This was one of the few places where my mini-daypack was excluded and I urge you to stow it downstairs sooner rather than later – when I went to retrieve our packs after our tour, the queue was quite lengthy for the incoming folks (and there are separate lines for check-in / pick-up --> get in the proper line because pick-up moves a lot faster!). Enjoy this treasure.
Galleria Borghese
Statuary outside Villa Borghese
The gardens behind the villa are q…
Great artwork to enjoy before ente…
vances says:
It belongs at the top of the list, Danielle!

:^)
Posted on: Jun 06, 2012
daniellelooije says:
I missed this during my trip to Rome unfortunately. It is definately on my list though and if ever in Rome again this is the first thing I will see
Posted on: Jun 05, 2012