Galle Road

Galle Road, Colombo, Sri Lanka

Galle Road Colombo Reviews

sathyaraj sathyaraj
Breaking Point: Colombo Dec 15, 2011
Generally its a nice place to visit.Very clean and tidy and very friendly people.The public transportation is very cheap and ideal for back packers.The beaches were lovely! I landed on the 8th July 2011 and it was my birthday as well.I was walking along the Fort and saw the railway station which was bombed once by the tigers.The country is gradually recovering from the civil war and the tourist are treated well in the airport.Sadly the Malays that I met in Colombo were unable to speak Malay though they are Muslims and wears the Malay costumes.
lucybedding lucybedd…
Jun 28, 2007
If I ever reach the point of boredom where I draw up a list of my favourite roads in the whole world, I'm pretty sure that Galle Road in Sri Lanka would top it.

Yes, it's busy, noisy, dirty, smelly, smoggy and sweaty but that's precisely what makes it so great. It forces you to see all this life and to become part of it. The fantastically beautiful saris of the women shopping, the incessant honking of the tuk-tuk drivers battling over road space, the most gorgeous egg rotis you've ever tasted, the stench of rotting rubbish being burnt by the kerbside, the midday sun beating down on your face... it's senses overload here!

Galle Road is long, stretching all the way from Colombo to Galle but my personal favourite section runs through Dehiwala and shows a raw, real and certainly non-touristy side of Lanka.

When you visit this amazing island, be sure to jump out of the tuk-tuk and experience this awe-inspiring road. Suck it all in and love it!!

Related Travel Blogs About Galle Road

Costa del Sol revisited
Hikkaduwa's reputation preceeds it - it's meant to be a naff resort with a main road running right through it. The latter is true, the main A2 Galle-Colombo road runs about 70 metres from the beach a…road running right through it. The latter is true, the main A2 Galle-Colombo road runs about 70 metres from…
On the road to Galle
Galle is a city on the southwest coast of Sri Lanka which is home to another UNESCO world heritage site, the Dutch Fort.  Built by the Dutch back in 1600s after they uprooted the Portuguese from…road to Galle comes south from Colombo, which is a well travelled route along the western coast, and to Galle
The Galle Face Hotel.
Next day we headed off to Colombo for our last night in Sri Lanka. The drive up the coast road was pleasant. We stopped off briefly to photograph two monuments for the 2004 Tsunami which hit Galle ve…Colombo for our last night in Sri Lanka. The drive up the coast road was pleasant. We stopped off briefly to photograph two monuments for the 2004 Tsunami which…

Check Colombo Hotel Deals