Gallagher's Boxty House

www.boxtyhouse.ie - +353 1 6772 762

Gallagher's Boxty House Dublin Reviews

DAO DAO
Totally (Delicious) Irish Apr 25, 2017
If you are in Dublin, Gallagher's Boxty House is a MUST eat whether it is for lunch or dinner. This is

Modern Irish Cuisine at its best. OK, so what is a Boxty? Boxties are the invention of Pádraic Óg Gallagher, a noted expert on potatoes (really). He developed 3 kinds of originally in Leitrim and they can be found in the border counties of Leitrim, Cavan and Fermanagh. And here in Dublin! Before I explain the 3 types of Boxty, let me just tell you how nice my experience was.

I was greeted by my server who was wearing the official uniform which states “Totally Irish” on the sleeve. I received a warm Irish greeting, was served a cold Murphy’s Stout and my order taken. What arrived was a delicious dish that tasted so good, I made sure the plate was absolutely clean. A real delight!

OK, the 3 kinds of Boxty and how there are prepared:

BOILED

Grated raw potato, cooked mash and flour, kneaded into dumplings, simmered for 12 minutes, chilled and sautéed in a little butter. Served with a sauce of your choice.

BAKED

Grated raw potato, cooked mash and flour, kneaded with pure Irish butter and lovingly baked in the oven. Delicious!

PANCAKE

Grated raw potato, cooked mash and flour, made into a batter with fresh milk and slow cooked in a pan until golden brown.

Favorite Dish:

I had the super-delicious Chicken & Smoked Bacon Boxty €16.90. They describe it as ‘Free-range Irish

Chicken Fillet in a Creamy Smoked Bacon & Leek Sauce, wrapped in a traditional Leitrim Boxty Pancake’.

Please note the pancake is savoury (not sweet). I washed down this very filling dish with a cold Murphy’s Stout (recommended by me!).

Opening Hours:

7 days a week

12pm to 10.30pm (ish)
HORSCHECK says:
Fabulous review with great photos. Well done.
Posted on: Sep 08, 2017
urbanboricua773 urbanbor…
Great traditional Irish Food Nov 03, 2011
Gallagher's Boxty House was a great experience. One of my friends who lives in Dublin recommended that we should go. I never had Irish food before so I wasn't sure what to expect. We got to the restaurant and was greeted by friendly faces. The restaurant is very cozy. Everything is made of wood from the wall, fireplace, chairs, tables...I felt like I was in someone's house. It was a great atmosphere with great service.

As far as the food my friend gave me a quit run down of what I should expect. I decided to go with the typical Irish plate which was Corned beef and cabbage wrapped in pancake. It was tasty with the right combination of texture from the soft pancake to the tougher meat with the delicious parsley sauce. The dessert, bread and butter with custard , was also very delicious and warm.

I spent about 25 euros for the main entrée, dessert, and soft drink.

Check Dublin Hotel Deals