Gahm Mi Oak Restaurant

(212) 695-4113

Gahm Mi Oak Restaurant New York Reviews

Transitory Transito…
Gahm Mi Oak Restaurant Jul 15, 2009
Located in the midtown area, right behind the Empire State Building, Gahm Mi Oak is in "Koreatown" a.k.a. K-Town.

Apparently it's Zagat rated but for an admittedly neophyte to Korean cuisine beyond Korean barbecue (which is very good), I wasn't bowled over by their limited selection nor with the food they served, and nor with their service.

Their famous "sul long tang," a well-known traditional Korean dish, of ox-tail soup that's boiled and supposedly carefully prepared for hours, was bland, semi-tasteless. I did what was said, added their sea salt and the chopped scallions and it didn't seem to take on any flavor, nuanced or otherwise, sorry. I doubt this is typical of the dish, I've heard better things about it, then what I had.

Service was rushed, abrupt and border-line rude. The server just could not be bothered, and would dump cups with water down, spilling it. The second server was the same way, honey this is NYC! I've encountered more professional service at McDonald's and we all know how thrilled those McD workers are to be there...

The decor is fairly nice, they have an indoor small enclosed garden, an open kitchen to see your meals prepared, and a cool raised platform where groups can sit barefoot on flat cushions cross-legged lotus-style at a low wooden table. However if you have a bad back or too many people at the table where it WILL get cramped, and when the novelty of sitting on the floor wears off, this will get old really fast. In fact, after we left, we passed numerous places to get massages and joked that we should pop in.

They did have flavorful kimchee though, I'ma fan of that, served up with raw peppers and raw lettuce. The other "traditional" dish, bibimbap was all right. Their meat dishes also needed flavoring, just seemed to be cooked plain brisket. I WILL state that the food is just not to my liking, others with purist palettes and more familiar with Korean food may enjoy Gahm Mi Oak's food, although this eatery just didn't persuade me.

Note: 24 HRs, reasonably priced for the area, around $10+ for an entree, not vegetarian or vegan friendly.

Check New York Hotel Deals