Gadjah Wong garden restaurant

Jl. Gejayan PO Box 111 YKBS, Yogyakarta, Indonesia

Gadjah Wong garden restaurant Yogyakarta Reviews

MeiYen MeiYen
Gadjah Wong May 09, 2010
It seems like every cab driver there knows about Gadjah Wong, whenever I ask about the restaurant, I was told it’s the best restaurant in Yogya. Perhaps what they are trying to tell me is that it’s a fine dining restaurant, you can’t expect anything less than the best. I was also recommended of this restaurant by some friends who had been there. Prices are obviously on a higher scale if compare to some other restaurants in Yogya but it is still relatively inexpensive for an establishment known as fine dining.

Gadjah Wong is a thematic restaurant with different sections for different music. We chose the traditional section and were entertained by local musicians with traditional music and instruments. They serve Indonesian, Indian, Italian fares and some fusion. We ordered the Seared Scallops with foamy mushroom fricassee served with watercress and fried croutons as our appetizer. This dish is superb with the scallops done just right and not overcooked retaining the juice and with every bite; I could feel the firm texture enhanced by the fricassee. For the main course, we ordered the Home Smoke Baby Chicken and the Tenderloin Teriyaki. I do not particularly enjoy the chicken as it’s a little too sweet yet salty for my taste, the smokiness makes it aromatic though. As for the Tenderloin Teriyaki, it is nice but not exceptional.

The restaurant is worth checking out though. Nice ambience and decently price.
sandy_ryanto sandy_ry…
Fine dining garden setting restaurant Jan 13, 2009
Yogyakarta (or 'Jogja' as people may often say) is one of the 'oldest' town/city in Indonesia with many historical backgrounds.

And it has always been one of our family's favourite, and it feels like coming home for many of us. Food has always been great, and ridiculously cheap!

However, aside from being well-known on good-affordable food, humble lifestyle and community, it's a bit hard to find a good fine dining experience in this Jogja.

This Gadjah Wong garden restaurant, is actually one of the very rare fine dining venue in this town. Setting in a lush garden with private gazeebo, proper table setting and waiter services, and various european menus are fantastics for enjoying a romantic candlelight dinner with your love one or families.

The beef loin steaks are good and tender, despite the price is pretty expensive for Jogja (Tenderloin steak was about $10 at end of 2008 when we ordered).

They have also the French famous 'foie de grass' salad, in javanese style....this one is hillarious, go have it a try yourself.

Other menus like salmon, turkey are just slightly above the average, and the definite recommendation is on the dessert, try their tiramisu and you'll not regret it.
table setting
max_simon says:
I agree with Bernard ;-) and Sandy ... a really nice Place.
Posted on: Oct 06, 2011
bernard69 says:
sorry but it is foie gras in France with only one s!
If you put 2,it is very too fatty!
Posted on: Jan 15, 2009