GPS System - Garmin nuvi1300

Visalia, California

GPS System - Garmin nuvi1300 Visalia Reviews

X_Drive X_Drive
New GPS with updated software and maps May 09, 2010
Knowing that I was going to either need to upgrade the maps in my old GPS system, which I felt was overpriced, or buy a new one, I opted for the later. My old unit was the Garmin nuvi350, and I purchased it in late 2006. It was a very good, lower priced unit at that time.

This time I again did my homework and found that the Garmin nuvi1300 was the best in the price range I was looking for. And I was lucky enough to find an extremely good sale at Target that brought the price down to $109.

That was only a little more than the map upgrade for the old unit. Too good to pass up.

The Garmin nuvi1300 has a wider 4.3” inch screen but is thinner and fits into your pocket easier than the old unit.

The interior battery holds a charge for carrying it around for up to 8 hours. Also, a power cord for plugging into your autos power outlets, another for plugging into a 110 outlet, and a USB cord for connected to your PC.

The mounting device, although small, is much like the older unit and it worked quite well.

It is loaded with maps for your part of the world, which in my case is the North America.

Ready to go directly from the box, when I took it home and got on to register it I found out that there was a brand new set of maps that I could download to it free.

Again, there are lots of options in the settings, such as language, the voice used, volume, screen brightness, etc.

The nuvi1300 has a much improved antenna and in the 10 seconds or so it takes to load the maps when you turn it on the antenna has already found the satellites and is tracking you.

The main screen asks two questions 1 Where To? And 2 View map

If you chose Where To the screen shows Address, Go Home, Points of Interest, Recently Found, Favorites, Intersection, Extras, Cities, Browse Map, and Coordinates.

The Tools area changes from vehicle to pedestrian or bicycle, keyboard layout, Miles or Kilometers, route preference from faster time, to shorter distance, less fuel or off road. It also has avoidance checks for U-turns, Highways, Toll Roads, Traffic, Ferries, Carpool Lanes, and Unpaved Roads. You can also change map detail from Most to Normal or Least. And the Map View can be changed from “Track Up” to North Up or 3-D. Also, you may change the look of your vehicle from one of seven. There is a trip log which will continue to add until you reset it. It shows mileage and fuel costs. There is also Day, Night, or Auto and screen brightness.

The regular screen has four things that are easily changeable. Current speed, direction, miles to destination, time to destination, elevation, and time. Then a touch in the lower right brings up another screen which shows a larger current speed and mileage, fuel cost, bearing and elevation and by touching the lower right corner again it shows your maximum speed, moving time, moving average, stopped time, overall average, and total time.

The nuvi1300 has the ability to simulate a drive and it is so well improved that it is actually a pleasure to use. The old unit frequently got stuck in a loop that it would not leave. One thing I did find that was not good was that in the simulation mode it usually drove freeways and superhighways at 80 mph which is above the normal speed limits.

The nuvi1300 also has an energy saver mode which helps you track your gas mileage and has tips for saving.

Lastly, there is a security mode you can activate so that a four digit password is required each time the unit is turned on.

There is also room for a mini data card for adding extra pictures or large numbers of extra POIs.

This one does not have the ability to play music like the old one, but I found that to be very poor, pausing a song while voice directions were given.

My old Garmin nuvi350 gave us wrong directions three or four times over the four years we used it. Lets see if the new one does any better.

I bought this about a month ago and have been using it constantly since. Naturally, I will be carrying it with me and using it on our “Spring 2010 Roadtrip” around the U.S. If I have any problems I will update this review.
missandrea81 says:
That's smart. My US unit still works fine and is coming with me every time I visit the in-laws.
Posted on: Jul 21, 2010
X_Drive says:
The only drawback buying the new one is that is doesn't have Canada included like the old one did. Luckily we took the old one with us and used it when we went over the border. ;)
Posted on: Jul 20, 2010
missandrea81 says:
Thanks Roger. I love my Garmin too. Did the same thing you did. Instead of buying the German maps for it, I bought a newer model that already came with up to date maps. I guess, when I move back to the States, I'll buy Garmin #3 lol
Posted on: Jul 20, 2010