Tokyo, Japan

Futuwama Tokyo Reviews

Toonsarah Toonsarah
Set tempura dinner Oct 04, 2013
On our first evening in Tokyo we were tired and didn't want to venture far from our hotel. We found a small restaurant on Kokusai Dori a block or so north of Tarawamachi Station. We had no idea what the name was as the sign was in Japanese only (we only learned the name the next day from Andrew, our tour leader), but they did have an English menu and various set dinner options, which made choosing easier. Service was friendly, and although, as the only non-Japanese in there, we caused a small stir on entering, we felt comfortable and welcome dining here. There is both western-style and traditional seating; the latter was all taken by a group of what I took to be local businessmen, and we were offered a choice of the one free table or eating at the counter, and chose the former.

We both had tempura meals - mine (number 2) with three large shrimps and a couple of vegetable pieces, Chris's with diced squid and scallop in a single large batter. The meals also came with miso soup, rice, sauce for dipping the tempura, pickles and a small salad. We liked the tempura and the dipping sauce but I found the miso soup saltier than I am used to (and I like salt!) and Chris didn't take to it much at all.

This was our first meal in Japan so hard to judge at the time, but looking back later in the trip we both agreed it was probably the least good meal we had. But the price was reasonable - 1,100¥ for each of the set meals and 400¥ for the small Asahi beer we shared. We also got complementary green tea when we sat down. Although the meal wasn't fantastic it was good value at 2,600¥ all in - about £16.
Futuwama - set dinner with shrimps
Futuwama - set dinner with squid a…

Check Tokyo Hotel Deals