Fundación Lázaro Galdiano

915 61 60 84

Fundación Lázaro Galdiano Madrid Reviews

Vikram Vikram
An underrated museum but highly recommended Oct 24, 2012
The walk to this museum is quite a bit (from the Metro), it's boring, long and winded and you get to pass through some major roads as well. Infact at one point I noticed a lot of Security guards and saw later that the US Embassy is situated there. Plus, the Madrid Pass book doesn't give the right location of the museum, so I had to ask around for directions.

But you know what? IT WAS ALL WORTH IT!

The museum is quite a huge building! I wouldn't have guessed. It's carefully crafted from the outside, not much vegetation, and I thought the 5E fee (free for Madrid Pass holders) was reasonable for all it's got to offer. That's 1 thing I'm noticing here - museums are quite cheap compared to Paris and the paid ones in London.

So now for a bit of history - this Lazaro bloke isn't royalty, but just a very wealthy man who used to collect things - all kinds of tihngs and finally donated it to the Government when he died (wish I'd been around and been his best buddy!). I'm stunned at the kind of fortune he's amassed, infact some 13,000 works of art and objets d’art. Apart from works by Bosch, Zurbarán, Goya, Claudio Coello, El Greco and Constable, this is a rather oddball assembly of all sorts of collectables.

The museum is really well arranged. It's broken up into 3 floors - each room consisting of all kinds of items - paintings, jewellery, etc. What stood out to me the most was the types of pendants and bracelets of all types of stones. The other that's in my memory is the amazing collection of ivory, wood and metallic stuff. Being from Zambia, my attention always heads in that direction (ivory and copper) and I've seen very few in European museums.

One of the room has some of Goya’s more famous works are hung together to make a collage, including La Maja and the frescoes of the Ermita de San Antonio de la Florida. There was another room (or was it the same one?) where there was a combination of French and British art work. I'm not sure why he clubbed them together, as they did look distinctively different.

Also I noticed that the portraits of women were all formally dressed (it's noted in the museum brochure as well). No nudies, just women in gowns.

And finally, I loved the old fashioned lifts!

This is a very nice museum and makes up quite a bit for the trek across town. I don't think it's on anyone's "must-do" list, but I'm just so happy I visited it.
Lazaro museum entrance
rsvpme says:
Interesting find......makes it special.
Posted on: Dec 11, 2012