Fundació Antoni Tàpies

Aragó 255 08007 Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain

Fundació Antoni Tàpies Barcelona Reviews

moviegal226 moviegal…
Pure Abstract Art Heaven May 30, 2012
I am a huge fan of Antoni Tapies and his work and I was very excited to be in Barcelona for the first time just so I could see this place. I'm happy to say that it was worth the trip! If you are a fan of Tapies or of any form of abstract expressionism, you will not be disappointed.

Admission is 10 Euro. The gallery is small but is well laid out on 3 levels with a tiny rooftop area. I wish more works had been on display, but what was on view was fantastic. The museum rotates their exhibits 4 times per year but each one presents a good overview of Tapies' works. This particular display (Exhibition #3) featured several of the artist's early surrealist drawings, a few bronze sculptures and paintings that spanned several decades (from the 1940s to present). The exhibit illustrated the evolution of Tapies' techniques and showcased his ability to create inspired works with varied materials.

The artwork here is breathtaking. I had only seen a few very small canvas works at some U.S. art museums and I was overwhelmed with the sheer size of some of the works on display here (they are really larger than life). They are absolutely stunning! Although the museum is small, I easily spent 3 hours here and could've stayed even longer in contemplation. The museum also had a screening of a documentary on Tapies that was included in the admission cost.

The museum gift shop is top notch with all sorts of great items for art lovers on a budget (postcards run about 1 Euro each, notecards are around 5 Euro, t-shirts 20 Euro; while you can get gorgeous lithographs, silk scarves and more if you are willing to drop a lot of money). I purchased a few notecards, postcards, a t-shirt and a full color book with selected art for about 32 Euro total.

My husband, who is not an art lover, was not very impressed with this place. He really tried to enjoy the art but just kept saying "I don't get it." I know that Tapies is an aquired taste but even if you aren't a fan, this museum is worth a visit just to see works by one of the most influential Spanish artists. And if you are a fan like me, you will be in pure art heaven!

Check Barcelona Hotel Deals