Frognerseteren Restaurant

22 46 93 96

Frognerseteren Restaurant Oslo Reviews

LindsayA LindsayA
Great location, disappointing food Jul 25, 2012
Frognerseteren is located well out of town at the end of the t-bane (underground) line and takes approx 35 mins from the centre of town. The journey out to the restaurant is pleasant as you travel up the hill and past the Holmenkollen ski jump area.

Follow the signs from the t-bane stop down the slope to the cafe and restaurant. You can choose to eat either à la carte in the restaurant or cafeteria style. I've only ever eaten from the self service cafeteria.

The choice is good and based on guide books I went for the apple cake which is a bit of a Norwegian speciality. Unfortunately my visitor and I were very disappointed. I've been back and tried other foods/sandwiches and overall I would say it's OK, but you can eat better elsewhere. What sets this place apart is the building and the location.

The building itself is a lovely old wooden building with ornate trimmings. The view down to Oslo is good, but dependent on the weather and the trees are growing and continuing to restrict it.

The restaurant is a popular stop for hikers and cross country skiers, so be prepared for queues on the weekends as many Norwegians are out enjoying the countryside.

Walk back up the slope to the metro line, or 15 mins downhill and you'll find yourself at the Holmenkollen ski jump and ski museum.
tirsomaldonado tirsomal…
Best views in a wooden restaurant Aug 19, 2011
I read a nice review about this restaurant we just decided to go. It is quite far away, so if you are tight in time, don´t even bother. It might take you 45 minutes or more to get there. As it was raining and we had nothing better to do, we just took the adventure. There are almost 20 stops by metro from the city center to get there.

Anyways, if you find the time, it is an awesome place. This place dates from 1867 when Thomas Heftye erected the building you see today. At the time hikers and travellers were given free admission to the house and served refreshments there.

When you get to the station you will see signs to get to the restaurant, so do not get nervous if you think you are lost :) You will find a track that after 200-300 metres gets you there. The place is located at 400-500 metres above the sea level so you get beautiful views over the city. There is a nice outdoors terrace but they only open it when it is sunny! Indoors you find to different areas, a fine restaurant and a buffet. The restaurant looked very nice but the prices were very high. We ended up eating in the buffet which was quite nice too. Actually you get the food and you can sit in the first or second floor. In the second floor you get the best views but we didn´t see it until was already time to leave :)

Silvia had a salmon sandwich with a soda, I had a prawn sandwich with a glass of red wine and Tirso had a quiche loren. The whole meal cost us 411

Check Oslo Hotel Deals