Friesennerz

Friesennerz - Mum sporting a Friesennerz

Friesennerz Emden Reviews

Kathrin_E Kathrin_E
Friesennerz - "Frisian Mink Coats" Feb 19, 2017
The so-called Friesennerz ("Frisian Mink") is by no means an expensive fur coat. This is the nickname of a certain type of rain coats that were first worn by fishermen and sailors and became popular in the 1970s and 1980s. I remember that we bought the first ones in a shop specialized on sailor gear in the harbour of Kiel, my mother's hometown. Later on they were available everywhere in inland towns, too.

About every child owned one in that era. Yes me too. The classical colour of a Friesennerz is yellow with a navy lining but there are also varieties in white (my father had a white one), orange, navy (like Grandma's).

These hooded coats are waterproof due to a PVC coating on polyester fabric. They are indeed as uncomfortable as this description sounds. You sweat because body transpiration is caught inside, on the other hand the coat does not keep warm. The material is rather stiff so you cannot move well and water easily runs into the openings on neck and sleeves. Even worse if you were forced to wear the matching pants plus rubber boots!

With the invention of better materials since the 1980s, the classical Friesennerz has more or less disappeared from the rain gear market. You still see some around, though, and some shops in coastal areas still have them for, I guess, nostalgic reasons. The Friesennerz still has its fans. (I wonder why, I rather have a modern GoreTex jacket!!!)

The photos have been taken from our 1970s family albums...
Mum sporting a Friesennerz