Friendz Hostel

Check Belgrade Hotel Deals

Friendz Hostel Belgrade Reviews

tj1777 tj1777
Home of the crazy Viking Mar 27, 2010
When I looked into a place to stay in Belgrade this one showed up with an excellent location. Considering I wanted something in easy walking distance to the old town but at the same time I easy access to the train and bus station since I planned to leave by bus or train when I left.

The hostel is pretty quite when I arrive - it appears I am the only guest for the night. Actually I am the first guest of the season so they are a bit excited about finally having some costumers. The owner is a half Swedish half Serbian man and he consider himself a bit of a Viking - so having the first guest of the year being a fellow Viking makes him happy and I get all the attention and service I could possibly want.

There is a lot of staff for this small place - with a 24 hour reception. The receptionists are all friendly living up to the name of the hostel and mainly seem to pass time by listening to online heavy rock music.

The place is just remodeled recently so all the showers are brand new and with no other guest there is no lines for the shower or toilets at any time. In general all of the furniture and paints in general was brand new so everything was in order.

The owner the crazy Viking Magnus is complaining a bit about his problems with covering the cost of the remodeling - I guess this is just first year cost and he will have to make it back in the coming years. One reason of his current financial problems might be connected to the generosity with giving away free beer to the guest - it’s great for guest if they are in search of somebody to share a cheap bottle of beer with but for his bottom line it might be an issue.

There is free and fast internet at the place and the rooms are all pretty big and the common area got reasonable space as well. But do keep in mind that when I went here there were only very limited guest so it might feel a lot more stuffed in the middle of the busy summer season when the places in Belgrade apparently run so full that some have madras’s on the floor.

There is a small kitchen in the main room for the guest - and for the last day before I am going to the airport Magnus suggest we should have a quick dinner together with him as the head chef. So we head out for the local supermarket and get some supplies - a bit of meat, bread and tomatoes. In addition we naturally needed a bit liquids to get all the solid stuff to go down - so we get a bottle of wine and a bottle of the traditional Serbian plum based liquor of slivovitz. Rest assured the food was simple but tasted ok - and with a couple of drinks it went down easily and I was pretty happy when I left to go to the airport.
The bed
Common room
The common room
The reception
HORSCHECK says:
Excellent and very detailed review of this hostel. Well done. - Thanks for your congrats.
Posted on: May 12, 2014