Friendship Tower on Mount Roosevelt

Deadwood, South Dakota

Friendship Tower on Mount Roosevelt Deadwood Reviews

werthr werthr
Deadwood's Best Kept Secret Sep 25, 2011
After going to Deadwood to Gamble for the last 20 years, I accidentally found the Friendship Tower in August of 2011. I had no idea what was at the top of the trail and was actually just walking the dog. Finally at the top I realized I had "accidentally" stumbled on to a pretty cool thing. Of course I left my wife and my camera in the Pickup at the base of the trail, so no pictures this time. October 20 will find me there again, armed with friends and a camera and my spotting scope. This type of entertainment is way cheaper than gambling. That's probably why it's kept a secret!
SoDakTraveler SoDakTra…
Unique monument, great view, awesome hike Aug 04, 2009
The Friendship Tower was constructed 90 years ago by the orders of Seth Bullock in commemoration of the 35 year friendship between him and former president Theodore Roosevelt. Hence, the name of the site is Mount Roosevelt.

I'd never been up to the tower until a month ago during a dedication ceremony. I'm glad I had the opportunity to go!

After parking, we had to hike about a mile to reach the site. It was a little tiring, but the view is absolutely amazing. I bet you can probably see at least three states from the top. It's a great jaunt through the Black Hills National Forest. Don't be surprised to see a few chipmunks scurrying around!

The tower is pretty unique. After all, it is celebrating a 125 year old friendship between one of South Dakota's legendary characters and one of our nation's leaders. As you can probably guess, it really stands out once you reach the end of the hike.

I can see why Bullock chose this location to commemorate his friendship with Roosevelt.

Check Deadwood Hotel Deals