Friendly Fun Franks Backpackers Hostel

Friendly Fun Franks Backpackers Hostel Rates and Deals

Friendly Fun Franks Backpackers Hostel Riga Reviews

tommylennie tommylen…
Perfectly Located Party Hostel May 15, 2011
I decided Friendly Fun Franks Backpackers was going to be a great hostel when one of the pretty barmaids handed us our free beer on arrival. It would be an ideal world if every check-in was like this I thought, as we chilled out in the bar while they prepared our room.

We booked ourselves into a rather compact 6 bed dormitory, with not much room to swing a cat, but it was clean and the bunks were pretty comfortable. There are plenty of showers and toilets, which is ideal as the hostel is pretty massive and was very busy during our stay. With so many people coming and going, we did find it a little noisy, but won't complain as it's clearly a party hostel and we helped contribute to the noise!

The location is excellent, right by the river and when you step out of the hostel, you are pretty much in the old town of Riga. There are loads of pubs, eateries and sights within a minutes walk, so it's ideally situated.

For me, the standout feature of the hostel was the bar, as it provided the perfect setting to meet fellow travellers and have a few drinks. We spent nearly a whole day at the bar as the weather was terrible and had such a great time. The hostel staff even organised a mini pub crawl one night, but we were already too drunk to participate. Definitely recommended for younger travellers looking for a good time and the chance to meet others. Stay clear if you want peace and quiet though!
Dr_Seuss says:
Free beer always works ;)
Posted on: May 19, 2010
wiener_bua wiener_b…
Cheap olt-town-hostel Jul 17, 2011
This hostel is located in the middle of Riga's old town (and next to the river).

Staff is very friendly and laid back. When you arrive you get a free welcome-beer and there are bartours every night.

All in all: nice atmosphere
Ricky1146 Ricky1146
great place May 22, 2011
This is the cheapest place in Riga, the staff is always helpful. There is 24/7 service no matter what you need. They can help you with. I have been here many times when in Europe. If you need to stay for under 8 dollars a night. This is the place to go.
dark-phoenix dark-pho…
Oct 17, 2010
What more is there to say about this hostel? A free beer upon entry! It's a great little hostel to set loose in if you're up for a bit of a party. You'll meet plenty of great people here who will want the same thing.

Located in an excellent spot just 3-4 minute walk from the main bus station.

A very nice spacious kitchen and dining area and computers with free internet. The rooms i felt, were just right, not too cramped and not too big. Lockers provided as well and the beds were alright.

One drawback however, was out of the 8 or so PC's in the computer room, 3 or 4 were broken. They could well have been fixed not long after i left.

Overall, the hostel represents very good value for money.
HendrikV HendrikV
Great place to stay! Very friendly staff Apr 01, 2010
This hostel is in the "old town" of Riga. The location is perfect. The staff is friendly and they organize a lot of activities.

When arriving at the hostel we got a complimentary drink (half a litre of local beer) and short introduction talk about Riga...and furthermore the do's and don'ts. (Which can be very usefull)

The bar is open 24/7, and you can watch sport on 3 different screens.

Great place to stay!
wanmuz wanmuz
It's fun, it's friendly, it's franks hostel! Nov 09, 2009
What would you do when you arrive in a city, in the middle of the night, it was dark, you were looking for your hostel, then you realize that the hostel wasn’t there. Well, that what almost happened to me. Seriously, this hostel really needs to put a sign indicated the location of the hostel. I tried to call the hostel few times but the number indicated inside my third party website wasn’t the right one.

I was nervous and didn’t know what to do. It occur to me to look upward and there was sit, a sign to this hostel. And I was relief!! Just as I arrived at the hotel, the friendly receptionist welcomed me and introduced me to all the staffs of the hostel. She then invited me to the bar, offered a drink coutersy of the house, and gave me a time to breath while she handled my check in.

Later, she explained to me how the hostels work, including how to access internet from my bed, how to use the security deposit box etc. Then, it was My favourite part as she shared with me all the secrets of the city. Where can I have the best view of Riga for free, where can I have the nicest cherries, what should I visit early in the morning, where should I have a drink and frankly it was everything!! All the information that you can’t even get at wikitavel.

For a price of 6 euro per night in a 10 people room, the room was decent. I had the internet connection from my bed unlike some of the hostels that I’ve been to, so nothing else to complain! The hostel is strategic. Apart from the difficulty to find it at the first place, the hostel is located just next to Riga Town Square and few minutes walk from the Bus station, which facilitates my depart to Vilnius the next few days.

I definitely recommend this hostel for its location and the staff’s friendliness (and the fact that you could get the access to wifi from your bed). But if you arrive late on the night, just stay calm to look for the hostel. It is out there somewhere and you just have to find it!
the hostel
hostel common room
Shaon Shaon
One of the best hostels I have ever been! Jun 24, 2009
This is, like the title says, one of the best hostels I have ever stayed. I booked my stay through hostelworld.com and I was really happy. It was really easy to get from the airport and it is really near the old town, so sights are near too. You can walk everywhere.

When you arrive at the hostel first thing they will offer you is a wonderful latvian beer and they will do all the paperwork for you. And then you can go to your room. Hostel is really clean and everything works. Kitchen is really good too. They also arrange pub crawls and club tours if you are into that kinda of things, and they will do other tours too. Beds are great, and even though there is a bar at the lounge you can´t hear the music. So you can sleep peacefully!

I highly recommend this hostel for your stay in Riga!
Eric says:
I've stayed here too -- did you do the shotgun vodka tour?
Posted on: Jul 27, 2009
Marius1981 Marius19…
Friendly Fun Franks Sep 24, 2009
If you are in Riga and you plan staying at a hostel you definitely have to go to this place. It’s just the best atmosphere you could get. You get a free drink and a small brief on the city when you arrive. They have a huge bar, a jukebox, TVs where you can any channel from Sky to the Australian ones (the owner is Australian), karaoke nights, organize pub crawls and parties every night. They can take you at a shooting range to shoot Kalashikov rifles, a huge kitchen very well equipped.

The dorms are good and far airway from all the bar and kitchen noises.

It has numerous awards from Hostelword.

One of the best hostels I’ve been to.

You’ll definitely love the place!
yadilitta says:
this place sounds cool! dorms not that close to the noisy areas, I like it!
Marius1981 says:
@George: Fun Franks is a great plance, i had great fun. fully recommend

@Padraig: its not that bad, i liked Riga and i would visit any day, but like in any big city you have to have a bit of common sense and be a bit aware.
I've been to places like Limerick or Glasgow and some parts are quite tough
GeorgeLeach says:
I'm looking to go to Riga later this year so I might just try this place, if only for the shooting range trip!

Friendly Fun Franks Backpackers Hostel Amenities

• High-speed Internet
  • Parking
  • Airport shuttle
  • 24 Hour Reception
  • Non-Smoking Rooms
  • Safe-Deposit Box
  • Computer
  • Internet Connection (wireless)
  • Shower
  • Luggage Storage

Related Travel Blogs About Friendly Fun Franks Backpackers Hostel

CFD
Drunken storries Riga and Tallinn
Drinking is always an very important part of traveling , and there is always alot of things happening when you are drinking. Here are a few of the things that has happened so far. Its also my persona…RIGA. Staying at Friendly Fun Franks Hostel its hard to not go out and party. With 130 beds there…

Check Friendly Fun Franks Backpackers Hostel Rates and Deals