Fresh Fish

Istanbul, Turkey
Fresh Fish - Cooking midye tava, mussels on a skewer, Rumeli Hisari
Fresh Fish - Fish restaurant, Sariyer.
Fresh Fish - Fish sandwich boat and ferry
Fresh Fish - Fish sandwich boat

Fresh Fish Istanbul Reviews

irenem irenem
Fresh fish straight from the boat Feb 25, 2017
You could be forgiven for thinking Istanbul's attractions all centre around historical sights,but for me a lot of them centred around - fish.

We frequently went to Kadiköy which means Judges' Village. This is an area on the Asian side of the Bosphorus and it has some excellent restaurants. We would walk along the front where rows of fishing boats would sell their wares to passers by. My favourite fish was palamut. This translates into English as bonito

when I look it up. In my opinion it looks and tastes very much like mackerel.

Once we had selected our fish the fishermen would top and tail it, gut it and cut it into fillets or pieces for us.I would bake my palamut in my little mini-oven with a little butter and black pepper. It was delicious.

Another fishy favourite of mine was to buy a palamut sandwich straight from the boat.

In our last year in Istanbul these palamut sandwich boats had been turned into a bit of a tourist attraction and the salesmen dressed up in traditional Turkish clothes and wore fezes. In our earlier years they wore much more sensible blue overalls.

We normally bought our palamut sandwiches in Eminönü. The boats were near the ferry pier. The fishermen would deep fry the fish in boiling hot oil. Whenever a ferry left the pier, the boat would bob frantically up and down and the fishermen had to take care not to get scalded by the boiling oil. We would ask for 'bir tane

yarim ekmek' which means half a loaf sliced down the middle with the fried fish inside. Really, really tasty.

If you want to be a bit more upmarket than having a fish sandwich, you might head up the European side of the Bosphorus to Sariyer which is famous for its fish restaurants. Be warned these restaurants are not cheap. We have eaten here, but we were fortunate enough to be taken as guests and therefore were not responsible for the rather large bill!!!

Even if you don't eat in the restaurants here, they are worth seeing for their wonderful fishy displays.
Fish sandwich boat
Fish sandwich boat and ferry
Fresh fish from the boat