Fremantle Prison

Fremantle Prison - Outside prison

Fremantle Prison Reviews

koala koala
Dec 03, 2006
The Fremantle Prison has a rich and varied past. As a place of incarceration for almost 150 years its inmates included British convicts, local prisoners, military prisoners, enemy aliens and prisoners of war.

It was built by convicts in the 1850s, it became a colonial prison in the 1880s and its inmates extended to include women as well as men. Its twentieth century history includes time as a military prison and after its closure as Western Australia's primary place of incarceration and a maximum security prison it is now one of the state's premier heritage sites.

The first prison - also the first public building in WA was built in 1831 -the Round House.

On the 4th and 5th of January 1988was a Fire and riot at Fremantle Prison. The prisoners rebelled and rioted, setting fire to 3 Division, taking some Prison Officers hostage and making demands about conditions. Order was restored on 5th January, but not before some of the officers held hostage were injured, and extensive damage done to the part of the Main Cell Block by fire and water.

This year also saw the commencement of the Fremantle Prison Conservation and Future Use project in which extensive investigations and research into the Prison site and its history and heritage potential were carried out. At the time it was the largest such project ever undertaken in Western Australia. The project reported to the State Government during 1990, recommending the prison be conserved as a significant heritage site. The recommendation was accepted by the Government.

In 1991 the inmates and staff of Fremantle Prison were transferred to the newsecurity prison at Casuarina, about 20 kms south of Perth, and the Fremantle Prison was closed.

Since1992 a tourist operatoris offering tours of the Prison.

We arrived for the last day tour of the day, it was well worth the 2 hours! The guide was fantastic. It was quite the experience to walk around a prison - it some places it looked like that the inmates just left but on the other hand it was hard to believe that this prison were actualy insideuntil 1991! The prison is really old and the conditionsinside really poor,it was about time to change something.

They offer also special tours through the tunnel and at night - I was not brave enough to do that! ;-)
dl4plm says:
I really enjoyed this trip - the cost was not so bad (we got a special with our rental car too - kind of a 2 for 1!) the tour guide was funny and very knowledgable and really made the tour. Plenty of parking - lucky for us as we had a big 4x4 - the jail is really spooky in places and amazing to think only 10 years ago people were actually still in the jail! Well worth a visit and recommended tour to see in Freo!
Posted on: Jan 11, 2007
funinuk funinuk
Oct 14, 2002
Mum and I went to Fremantle prison while out on a day trip in 2002.

It was my first prison experience (thank god) and as I love prison movies we thought we would go for a visit.

Even seeing the huge walls that surround the now unused prison gave we the chills.

We were shown around in a group of about 15 by a former prison guard who was very informative and had many a story to tell of his experiences there.

We saw the excercize yard, bathrooms, kitchen, loads of cells from the first days of the prison to how they looked when it closed in the 90s and the most chilling of all DEATH ROW and THE GALLOWS.

There was also a gift shop and cafe there.
Inside the prison
The gallows
Outside prison

Related Travel Blogs About Fremantle Prison

great tour
A tour of the Fremantle Prison is a fantastic and fascinating day. The Fremantle Prison is a piece of living history. When you step inside you will be transported back in time to experience…Fremantle Prison is a fantastic and fascinating day. The Fremantle Prison is a piece of living history…
Fremantle Motor Museum
Hi Everyone, whilst Chris and Dee did their Course for the Mining Position I decided to go to a Town called Fremantle. I had to catch a Boat over the Swan River to get there. When i got there I cou…Fremantle. I had to catch a Boat over the Swan River to get there. When i got there I couldn't believe how much there was to do considering…
Why don't I live here?
Fremantle is not just a cool beach town, close to a big city, but with a laid back attitude (though it is all those things), Fremantle, or "Freo" as it's fondly known, is a major port for Western Aus…Fremantle Prison for a look around.  They have guided tours up there during the day and there are also…

Check Fremantle Hotel Deals