Freedom Traveller

Freedom Traveller Rates and Deals

Freedom Traveller Rome Reviews

Onthewind Onthewind
Close to the main station Termini Sep 04, 2013
I chose this hostel due to its close proximity to the main bus and train station - Termini, which is likely to be the main point of arrival into Rome. From the station you can arrive at the hostel within 10 minutes. I found the simplest way is to join 'via Marsala' which runs adjacent to the station (if you are on 'via Giovanni Giolitti' then you're on the opposite side of the station). Turn left along 'via Marsala' for a few minutes, passing traffic light junction and then you will find the road for the hostel 'via Gaeta'. Take the road and cross to the other side.

Tip: The hostel will be on your left but I found it easier to look along the street to see the 'Pinoy' Chinese restaurant sign rather than the small sign for the hostel.

The staff were friendly, helpful and speak English really well. A free map of the city is provided to the guests on arrival and Check in starts at 3pm but I would recommend arriving a little later as there was a rush when I arrived at 3pm. They take the fees upfront but DON'T ACCEPT CARDS so make sure you have enough cash and €10 deposit for the keys.

The main front door to the building followed by a gate both need keys and should be closed on leaving the hostel for security. Buzz to enter the building and the hostel is directly on the left when passing through the gates. Some rooms are spread over different levels and other people live in the building, and SOME ROOMS ARE NOT EVEN IN THE SAME BUILDING, which I guess is not a problem but worth noting.

A very small lift took me up to my floor and to another locked door which would be the entrance to the apartment before the hostel took over. Here was a little common room from which the bedrooms all extend from with locked doors, and is a nice place to chill on sofas. Having four keys might sound a lot, but they're arranged in order on the keyring and even if you return home a little worse for wear it's straightforward. My room of four beds had an en suite shower which is pretty handy although will disturb you if a roomy decides to use it a crazy hours. The bed was reasonably comfy but a little noisy, which really means a lot during the night. You'll NEED A PADLOCK for the lockers in the room, which are quite big. FREE AIR-CONDITIONING in the bedroom was very welcomed during my summer stay.

The whole hostel is kept clean and tidy which is great but it has a bizarre lockout procedure which means that the guests HAVE TO LEAVE THE ROOM BETWEEN 10AM - 3PM for cleaning, but can stay in the communal areas. I guess it's not going to be a problem for many guests as they are likely to be out exploring the city, but if you have been travelling during the night to reach Rome, then perhaps you will be annoyed when the cleaners come and perhaps ask you to leave your bedroom.

The areas where all the guests can mingle is in the kitchen area which is quite well equipped and furnished with a number of tables and chairs. This space is fairly big and the garden area also has sitting area but is not very appealing. Also in this space is a toilet and a computer. Kitchen area & garden close at 11pm so the rooms near the reception are not affected by noise, but the RECEPTION IS 24hr. Guests have until this closing to pick up any LUGGAGE STORED at the hostel from the check out which is 10am.

The FREE BREAKFAST provided by the hostel is available from the restaurant directly opposite and the guest just need to pick up a voucher from the reception and claim a free pastry and drink in the morning. The WIFI had good coverage except in the garden and worked well even a peak times. From a poster by the reception, the hostel can arrange pub crawls and tours but I didn't use or see any of these services.

The age range of the guests staying during my visit was around 18-30 and were a mixture of nationalities; friends, couples and solo travellers. This is a good hostel for the price, but it's not amazing. People with a tighter budget will be interested in this place and I was very happy to have stayed here.
World map
White chocolate
Yum, unhealthy breakfast
Breakfast selections
wanderled wanderled
Close to station and airport Feb 17, 2013
Close to the Rome's main train station, this hostel provides everything young travelers need in terms of hospitality. The hostel is relatively easy to find and about five minutes away from the train station by foot. The staff were always friendly and they offer a free map and baggage storage. They have different apartments available in the area, and we were taken to one across the street from the main office. They give you your own set of keys and have towels and extra lines for rent.

The best part about this hostel is that they serve a typical Italian breakfast (coffee and croissant) in the common room. They also offer special discounts at certain restaurants and have free pizza on certain days. The man at the front desk was very helpful in that he showed us the best way to get to the most famous sites. The staff also organizes parties and bar crawls.

The rooms are nothing special. Aside from being quite old, they are kept clean daily and each room has a small kitchen with a stove and refrigerator. We were happy to learn that there was free wine waiting for us in the fridge that they offer to their guests. The common room also has a computer and wi-fi is available, although is quite slow.

In short, we didn't have any problems here and had everything to make our trip comfortable. I would stay here again, but from what I understood, they opened up a sister-hostel down the street that is brand new.

Best,

Sasha Nakoryakov

Writer for Wanderled
dolfijn dolfijn
Jan 22, 2008
If you are looking for budget accommodation within a 5 minute walk from the termini station, the main train station in Rome (which is very close to all main attractions at max a 15 minute walk) this is the place to go!

Very cheap priced hostel for Rome standards; but high on quality and services (this depends who is on duty). I'll get excellent service by Daniel and Will, the rest of the crew are not really interested in people or their work.

oké, the building look very old and inside it is very oldfashioned but is it very clean. They come every day to clean the rooms, bathrooms etc.

This is what they offer you for the budget price:

-a variety of accommodations

-free internet

-free diners and breakfast!

-free walkingtours through Rome

-Party's

Comparing to the price and what they offer is this the best hostel I have ever been at. I would recommend every one who want to travel very budget this hostel. I even took my mom to this hostel and see was pleased with it. While here standards are higher then mine!

Please note that Freedom Traveller hostel have hostels all over Italy with the same concept!

Related Travel Blogs About Freedom Traveller

Sweaty, stinky, and happy
We just arrived at the Freedom Traveler hostel in Rome. We are pretty excited since this will be our longest stay (a full 6 nights) which means we can actually unpack and get comfortable before we ha…Freedom Traveler hostel in Rome. We are pretty excited since this will be our longest stay (a full 6 nights…

Check Freedom Traveller Rates and Deals