Freedom Bungalow

island, koh rong saloem, Cambodia

Compare Singer Island Hotel Rates (<1km away)

Freedom Bungalow koh rong saloem Reviews

gingerbatik gingerba…
Nice bungalow with sea view Mar 27, 2014
It takes 40 minutes by fast boat to Koh Rong Saloem and the speed boat cost usd 30 return, can be purchased from the travel agent, hotel or the guesthouse in Sihanoukville. If go by slow boat (which takes around 2.5 hours) would be cheaper. Alternatively can take party boat which stop in Koh Rong island for half hour snorkelling before come to this island and definitely way cheaper as it include breakfast and buffet lunch but it takes 3-4 hours to the island. However I opt for a fast boat ride.

The fast boat ride was very smooth and I could not feel any wave and I do not have any seasick. The boat stop in Koh Rong Saloem pier exactly 40 minutes after depart, and the pier is quite far from the Freedom Bungalow Pier (it appears some of the bungalows have they own pier with their own boat). If you have a reservation or booking at this place, the Freedom Bungalow will send a small boat to pick you up from the pier.

The day before, I booked the speed boat ticket from my guesthouse and he recommend this bungalow. He said that someone will pick me up with my name on it.

Unfortunately when I arrive in Koh Rong Saloem pier, nobody carry any sign, none at all. It was a very small island and everybody busy for everybody.

So I walked toward the bungalows since I roughly know how to go there. I passed several bungalows and all bungalows is close to the water which is beautiful to see and the sand is really white with clear blue water.

After half an hour walk, with my backpack on, finally I arrived at this place. They do not have any special reception, it is basically in the restaurant and no one book the bungalow for me.+++

Luckily the manager has several bungalows available so no problem to stay a night. It cost usd 35 per night per bungalow without breakfast.

I have the bungalows no 4, which is on the left side of the restaurant and the bungalow has a water view and the pier as well. It was quite nice and clean bungalow with one double bed, easy rattan furniture to put my staff and bathroom inside the bungalow as well. The balcony was nice and relaxing with 2 easy chair facing the ocean.

The electricity is limited in this island, it start from 6 pm until 11 pm only, and inside the bungalow has a candle as well. So there is no hot water in this place. I heard about this and being paranoid since I do not like in the dark, I purchased a big candle from Sihanoukville and I have 2 torches with me, just in case. I almost burn down the bungalows since I lit the candles in the wee hours when I woke up by the thunderstorm and heavy rain in the island and then felt a sleep with the candles on. The candles wax drop down to the carpet and make a hole on it. Luckily when I told the manager, it was okay and I do not have to pay for any damaged on the carpet.

The restaurant serve breakfast, lunch and dinner. I have my lunch and dinner at this place and the food is really good and tasty, big in quantity, and very reasonable in price – almost similar with Sihanoukville. However water is expensive here, cost usd 0.90 cent for one small bottle water ½ litter, no big water bottle unfortunately. Juices (not fresh juice) cost usd 1.5. It is cheaper to have beer which cost less than usd1.

The staff is friendly and helpful. I enjoy my stay here. However the beach in this bungalows is not the best. The best beach to swim and to take picture shoot is near the pier where the boat stop.
the front bungalow
inside bungalow
the rattan furniture
bathroom
spocklogic says:
Lack of electricity is in essence, shocking! It's more than a century old technology now, but the primitive ways can have appeal sometimes perhaps...
Posted on: Apr 26, 2014

Compare Singer Island Hotel Rates (<1km away)

koh rong saloem Map