Frederiksborg Castle

Hillerod, Denmark
48 26 04 39

Frederiksborg Castle Hillerod Reviews

Vikram Vikram
Everything about this place is wow! Getting there is the most fun part by itself. And those gardens!!! Jul 14, 2016
Quite honestly, there is so much I have to say about this place without this review becoming a thesis. But this Castle is amazing!

The Copenhagen Card provides you free admittance including to the boat that can also ferry you to the main dock between the castle entrance and the gardens. The staff can get quite surly at you if you take your backpack for the touring so better to check it in and avoid any unpleasantness.

I kind of knew I'd hit the mark when this immaculate fountain greeted me before I even entered. I took so many photos there, and met a young couple from Oregon.

The insides were lovely as well - everything from the Rose Room to the magnificent magnificent Chapel on the 1st floor, the reconstructed Great Hall and the bonus of seeing portraits of the in-house Museum of National History.

And then there's the baroque gardens - built somewhere in the 19th century in Dutch renaissance style, it captures the glamour of Europe with the beautiful serpentine flower and plant arrangements, not to mention various levels of viewing "decks" from where you get a view of the lake and the Castle itself.

There's a third aspect - the Royal Grounds that I could not see as I ran out of time.

Overall, very very nice.... this really falls under the Kodak Moments of any Denmark holiday. Pls visit.
Neptune Fountain in front of the C…
The Neptune fountain is considered…
The current fountain is a copy of …
The Bellfry tower
Ils1976 says:
Copenhagen is still on my wish list and seeing all of your pictures I know now why! :)
Posted on: Sep 04, 2016
Vikram says:
Fingers crossed, thanks! :P
Posted on: Sep 02, 2016
Paulovic says:
Ready to be featured tomorrow? ;)
I did visit. :)
Posted on: Sep 02, 2016
gingerbatik gingerba…
Beatiful and Magnificient Mar 24, 2015
I plan to visit this Frederiksborg Palace or Frederiksborg Castle since 2012, however never have chance until recently. My Malaysian friend and 3 of her friends come from Macau to visit Copenhagen and outer areas, so this time I acted as a tour guide and took her and her friends sightseeing around the castle.

We took S train line E toward Hillerød (platform 9), from Copenhagen Central Station. It is cheaper to use day pass which cost DKK 130 for 24 hours use, if you plan to visit many places and use many public transport.

The train take around one hour ride and then follow by bus no. 301 (direction: Ullerød) or

302 (direction: Sophienlund) from local bus station, which located at the back of train station.

The castle was built as a royal residence for King Christian IV and is now a museum of national history.

From the first moment I enter the castle ground, I was in awe of the sheer beauty and space. The building was beautiful and very photographic. First we need to purchase the ticket to enter the building and we have to store our bags inside the locker – which need Danish coin of dkk20 (refundable once finished with the locker).

Camera can be brought inside to capture the beauty of the handicraft and the pictures of the King and other antique ornaments.

I was lost inside the beauty of the castle and just wonder in awe.

Words is not enough to describe – need to see it with your own eyes.

It was beautiful and worth every penny to go inside.
the view from across the street
the river before crossing the cast…
the walkway to enter the castle ga…
gingerbatik says:
@cotton-foam & Ils1976 - it was beautiful castle. Let me know if you come over to Copenhagen, we will visit the castle together and also hunt the cafe for the dessert:)
Posted on: Mar 30, 2015
Ils1976 says:
now I really wanna go and visit Denmark one day! :D
Posted on: Mar 29, 2015
cotton_foam says:
Wow, what a grand castle/palace!! I wish I could visit it too! Great review, Yunni!!
Posted on: Mar 24, 2015
WalterC WalterC
Definitely worth taking a day trip out of Copenhagen Apr 24, 2015
Located in the town of Hillerod, Frederiksborg Castle is a nice short day trip from Copenhagen. It is a short S-tog train ride from Central Station. Once at the stop, you can catch the 301 or 302 bus to the entrance of the castle grounds. Then it’s on foot, to the entrance of the castle itself.

Dating back to the early 1600’s, built during the reign of Christian IV, the castle is also the Museum of National History, as it tells the history of Denmark from 1500, towards the present.

Before entering, a look around the exterior is definitely worth a look, to admire the architecture of the castle, in the courtyard area. Then you do inside, where there is a lot to see.

On 3 different floors, a set of rooms are grouped into a certain time period, though not exactly in chronological order. And there is really not much of direction to follow them in order. But that turned out to be not a big deal (at least to me), because the period furniture and the paintings in the rooms are more than enough reason to visit this place, as this place is grand in more ways than one. So much to see, that you can get easily lost in all this art, in a good way.

Some of the highlights of the castle include the Royal Chapel and the Great Hall. They definitely should not be missed. Apparently, the Audience Room is another one, but it was closed off when I was there.

Needless to say, Frederiksborg Castle should not be missed. If you could take only one day trip out of Copenhagen, then this is the one.

By the way, the train ride and admission to Frederiksborg Castle are covered by the Copenhagen Card. So, all the more reason to come to this place. :)
pond around the castle
bridge to the castle
Neptune fountain
gate to castle courtyard
Ram_81 Ram_81
frederiksborg castle Oct 30, 2010
I heard from a Danish that in denmark, there are 2 kinds of castle, 1. fort build for war, 2.Romantic castles build for residence and to showcase their architecture. Fredriksborg castle belongs to the romantic category, it reminds me of the picturistic fairy tale castle that we came across when we were kids. the castle is surrounded by lake and there is a garden on the other side of the castle. THe whole place is breathtaking and has a green tint all over the place, even the castle has green quote to make it look even more better. A must visit place in Denmark.
Lake near the castle
In front of the castle
In front of the castle
Entrance of the castle

Related Travel Blogs About Frederiksborg Castle

something happening here
As much as I am in favor of democracy and all that, I think the royal life would actually not be too bad.  I mean, given that I was living the royal life.  There were two big castles on the…castles on the road to Sweden, Frederiksborg Slot in Hillerod and Kronborg Slot of Hamlet fame in Elsinor.  But then…
After Roskilde I still had time to visit Hillerod, I wanted to see the great Frederiksborg Slot in this village. Frederiksborg castle was built as a royal residence for King Christians IV who was bor…Hillerod, I wanted to see the great Frederiksborg Slot in this village. Frederiksborg castle was built as a royal residence…

Check Hillerod Hotel Deals