TravBuddy is the #1 online travel community
Share hotel reviews, travel blogs, photos, travel advice and meet over 664,427 travelers just like you!

FrankMcD
Award: Photographer IIAward: Writer III

Name: Frank
Hometown: Birmingham, Alabama, USA
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana, USA
Join Date: April 30, 2011
Contributions: FrankMcD has written about 217 places, shared 2,551 photos, left 30 comments, and smiled 3 times.
Travel Plans
New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
Mar 6, 2017 – Mar 8, 2017
Somehow I got roped in heading back to New Orleans. Hopefully I can check out some new areas.
Albany, New York, USA
Apr 13, 2017 – Apr 16, 2017
I really want to check out the Hudson River Valley, but Albany will be my starting point.
Santa Barbara, California, USA
May 26, 2017 – May 29, 2017
I tried this trip last year and did not make it; hopefully this year will be different.
» see all 10 future travel and dream destinations
Countries I've Traveled To
Languages Spoken
English, Spanish
Interests
Most Memorable Travel Experience
While I have enjoyed many memorable travel experiences (looking up from the swimming pool at Elephant Sands, Botswana and seeing a herd of elephants frolicking in a watering hole just feet away; seeing a lioness and her cubs feasting on a dead elephant at Chobe National Park near Kasane, Botswana; Victoria Falls; Yosemite Valley), my experience in Wadi Rum has to take the prize as the single most memorable one. I was the only guest in a Bedouin camp on a cold November evening. After dinner, my host asked if I would mind if he joined me so that he could practice his English. I welcomed him and invited his two colleagues (who turned out to be his brothers) who did not speak English to join us around the wood burning stove since it was so cold. For the next three hours the four of us talked -- actually communicating -- even though I spoke no Arabic and two of the brothers spoke no English. We laughed. We shared tea. It was a remarkable evening -- demonstrating that communication and friendship is possible if we give it a chance.
spocklogic says:
HBD!
Posted on: Feb 14, 2017
Paulovic says:
Happy birthday, Frank!
Posted on: Feb 14, 2017
spocklogic says:
Bravo on the featured 'Explore Hampton Roads' blog! Nice job and will have to have a look at it when I have time as I live in the area. Guess I never saw your posts about it in my updates because we are not connected as TravBuddy friends.
Posted on: Feb 09, 2017

FrankMcD's Travel Blogs

Meet Me in St. Louis
Feb 01, 2017
I had the opportunity to attend a conference in St. louis, -- and, since it had been several years since I spent any time in St…
Overview 829 words 11 3 5
Jan 12, 2014 – Dec 07, 2016
Living in a tourist area, you frequently forget that people come to visit the area to see the sites you take for granted.
Overview 3,971 words 64 4 56
This blog was featured on Thursday February 9th, 2017
Thanksgiving in Nashville
Nov 27, 2013 – Nov 25, 2016
Having travelled outside the USA for the past five years, I made the decision to spend this Thanksgiving with family in Tenness…
Overview 2,971 words 22 0 0

FrankMcD's Travel Reviews

Free! "Hotels & Accommodations" in Saint Louis, Missouri, USA
What a great hotel! you could not ask for a better location, only two blocks from the gateway Ar…
Free! "Hotels & Accommodations" in Norfolk, Virginia, USA
This is a great location, but for a relatively new hotel it is showing its age. The furniture is…
Free! "Hotels & Accommodations" in Washington, District of Columbia, USA
If you are not looking for a fancy hotel, but basic lodging in a great location, you cannot do b…
Updated 4 days ago