Frangipani Beach Villas & Restaurant

Check Tangalle Hotel Deals

Frangipani Beach Villas & Restaurant Tangalle Reviews

gingerbatik gingerba…
Frangipangi Beach Village Tangalle May 22, 2013
I choose this as lonely planet guide book has good description of the guesthouse. Unfortunately when I arrived without reservation they only have one room available on the top of the kitchen with a balcony right at the front of beach. I thought for the price given, 3500 rupee per night was very steep especially the room is very basic, small, and without air condition, but it does has a fan ceiling. The view to the ocean was beautiful with two lazy chairs right at the front windows, but the room itself very crammed and it is definitely not my style of the room. Since I have a luggage which is getting quite nuisance to carry around and looking for other places to stay, so I tend to stay for one night only and look for other better and cheaper room available around the area since it is low season in Sri Lanka.

The room itself has one king size bed with two big pillows, medium size cupboard, one desk and plastic chair and refrigerator. The bathroom is okay, but basic with hot and cold water. The toilet seat is very laughable as it is too small for the toilet so not close properly. Luckily the water pressure work well.

The next morning when I intend to check out, the staff mentions that they can lower the price since it is low season and they give me 2000 rupee per night without breakfast. Since I like the location and the beach at the front restaurant is just one meter from it, and several woman tourist in this place, so I opt to stay here even though I don’t really like the room as I feel safer in this place than other hotel I have look the day before.

There are many guesthouses next to it which offer very good bargain price of 1000 rupee per night but location is across from the beach or the beach itself was fence off, so can’t access directly and most of the guesthouse or hotel nearby were really empty. Whereas this place has beautiful view toward the beach and within walking distance to city centre.

Most of my meals were taken in this place as no other restaurant nearby, or when I walked and check other guesthouse, there were no other guests. It seems most foreigners staying in this guesthouse.

The food is kind of hit and miss, sometimes the food is good, other time no taste at all, very inconsistent and it is quite pricey for Sri Lanka and the price has additional ten percent service charge in it. The staff is friendly and chatty, helpful with anything I requested from the tour around the areas, rent a car, and specifically food request.

Unfortunately the beach in front of the guesthouse is not that safe for swim as it has a very strong current and a couple of women tourist swim there get hurt because of it. However, I still enjoy this place and I stay for 5 days here. I also see many local do their own things like fishing right at the beach.
bedroom
window toward ocean view
balcony
view from the balcony
Cho says:
Having lived in Asia for many years I can eat spicy food but not extremely spicy like some of the food in Thailand and India.
Posted on: Aug 20, 2013
gingerbatik says:
true Cho, it is way more expensive than Thailand or Vietnam for the quality of accommodation and price. Food was okay, but some are very spicy. Do you eat spicy food?
Posted on: Aug 20, 2013
Cho says:
Good review. I also found the food and accommodation in Sri Lanka to be expensive. India was cheaper.
Posted on: Aug 19, 2013