Four Winds Renaissance festival

Troup, Texas

Four Winds Renaissance festival Troup Reviews

lee0327 lee0327
Friendlier than Most: renaissance festival Feb 22, 2012
At $25 per WEEKEND, it cost less than most Festival's cost per day. They are not around to get rich, but to bring the community closer. It is a great family atmosphere and yet will not forget about honoring even the solo traveler. The owners of the fair are part of the fair. You can walk up and shake their hand and say anything you like to them. Unlike most places where you would never see the owner, they walk around amongst the patrons. In fact, you can see one of the owners in the Joust.

The Joust is a full contact World class event. This is not a rehearsed event, but is a judged, very real, live event. You do not have to pay anything extra to see this event, just come and enjoy.

I find the concession a bit pricey, but well worth it. Any time you see curry or gumbo, don't miss out. They are just a bit spicy, but are so good. New this year will be a beef stew served in a bread bowl. I have never tried it but I am sure it will be amazing. The second owner is the older man in the kitchen that makes the meals. He may not be in there when you order, but his is the love that goes into these dishes.

The owners are always building and making the fair better year after year. This year they built a two story, 21 and older pub. I will say this, as of today in 2012, they do not sell any alcohol due to licensing, however they are still fighting to bring alcohol in. (Note: The town was dry till last year and is fighting the fair in receiving the license and has nothing to do with the fair its self, but the town)

If you have not noticed, I do know this fair and the owners very well. I am speaking on my own behalf and will never lie for any reason to any one. The truth is that when I became homeless 2 years ago, they took me into the family of the fair. Therefore, I know the back doors to the front doors and everywhere in between. Now having said that, I must move on to the bad.

The bad, however small it is, must be noted. I have never seen every bathroom stall working at one time. There are still enough stalls that you never need to wait in line, but still want to share. Also, if you have an RV and want to use their power, come early before the fair opens up. Not all of the power hookups work and with some of the staff living in RV's, if you're not early or book early, you may not get power. (if booked early and demand power, the owners will do everything to honer that, even to the point of calling an electrician)The washers and dryers in the bathroom/shower houses work but never do a great job. When living there, I would wash in the men's and dry in the women's.(may or may not have been fixed)

Positives of camping:

There is a fire almost every night with friends, family's, and even some shop owners and performers. It's always fun. You might even catch me there reciting a poem or playing music from my truck.

This is really a great place to be and I make it a point to be here every year. March through April. Week days are peaceful and the weekends are energetic! See you soon!

Check Troup Hotel Deals