Fortunata Guesthouse

Check Kandy Hotel Deals

Fortunata Guesthouse Kandy Reviews

gingerbatik gingerba…
Fortunata Guesthouse Kandy May 30, 2013
Originally, I booked a guesthouse which was recommended by the staff at the hotel in Haputale which he said the guesthouse located close at city centre and temple of tooth, and I also spoken with the owner of the guesthouse about the location and he assured me the location is within walking distant to the city centre.

When I arrived in Kandy, the tuk tuk driver from the guesthouse in Kandy was waiting for me and he drives me to the guesthouse. Unfortunately the location of the guesthouse is really far, we drive around the lake and out to the jungle and the hotel located right at the end of the cliff. And it seems I have to walk quite a bit to get to public transportation from this guesthouse. So, I decided to cancel my reservation and said to the owner of the guesthouse that the location is too far for me to walk to the centre and it is not as per advertised.

I told the tuk tuk driver to take me to the hotel which recommended by the lonely planet guide book. He ignores my request; instead he took me to another guesthouse located near the lake. Since I was there, so I checked the guesthouse. Inside the living room is quite huge and seems very quite. It has 3 rooms available to rent and all of the room are quite large but no air condition, fan only. The place is not that clean, a bit dusty, but acceptable for a couple of nights stay since the price is very cheap compare with the hotel I want to stay in Kandy. It cost Rs 1,500 per night without breakfast. Breakfast cost Rs500 and really good, can choose western style of omelet, toast, fruits, tea and coffee or Sri Lanka breakfast.

I choose the room with twin bed which push together to be queen bed with a mosquito net (it seems the entire hotel and guesthouse in Srilanka has mosquito net). The room has window facing the back garden and the owner warn me about the monkey outside and remind me to close and lock the windows when I go out. But it is okay to leave the windows open if I am inside the house.

In the room also have a couple of chairs and table, a dresser and a cupboard and plenty of space to put my luggage. The bathroom is really large but the floor is not that clean unfortunately but acceptable. No soap or shampoo provided but they do have a couple of towel.

What I like about this place is the location, right at the front of the lake and within walking distant to the temple of tooth and city centre. And the owner is really good cook. I have all my meals here and it was really tasty, plentiful and very cheap. I don’t remember the cost, probably around Rs1,000 or 1,500 for dinner and it was plentiful with several dishes and I am happy with it.
hotel sign outside the gate
garden and the hotel front building
living room
living room
monky says:
Congrats on your featured review Yunni!:D
gingerbatik says:
thanks for all the congrats, really appreciated.
cicie says:
Congrats on your feature review:)

Check Kandy Hotel Deals