Fortified Bridge

Besalu, Spain

Fortified Bridge Besalu Reviews

davidx davidx
Medieval Village Aug 31, 2010
Besalú is a small village in Catalunya. It can easily be reached by bus from Gerona/Girona.

The road that runs across the top is modern enough but below it there is plenty of history. The Romanesque church of St Pere was started in the late 10th century CE and consecrated in 1003. There is also an old hospital with a 12th century façade and another Romanesque civil building.

I remember all this as I am writing about it but one thing since my visit is apparently a mikvah (an old Jewish purification bath - I don't think I have ever seen one). However the place that reminded me to do a review is the bridge into the bottom of the town. Different websites give different dates but I think the 12th century is the latest. Also since there is no equivalent in much of southern Europe to our word 'Romanesque' I cannot be sure whether there was once a Roman bridge here.

Anyway what makes the bridge excitingly different is its towers at each end. They must once have provided a fine defence from the river side and for a long time served as a toll collection point. Now they are a much visited sight.

near them are some of those articulated buses meant to look like trains that do trips into the surrounding country. They were not operative while I was there.

Check Besalu Hotel Deals