Fortaleza Guest House

303 Cll Fortaleza, Old San Juan, USA
NA - (787) 721-7112
Fortaleza Guest House - from one of the forts in Old San Juan
Fortaleza Guest House - from one of the forts in Old San Juan

Compare San Juan Hotel Rates (1.8km away)

Fortaleza Guest House Old San Juan Reviews

spanton spanton
You Get What You Pay For Mar 22, 2011
If you plan a trip to Old San Juan and are on a budget, give consideration to the Fortaleza Guest House. Granted, it is not (by any stretch of the imagination) a five star hotel, if you see a hotel as a place to sleep, shower and not much more, you can't go wrong here. For $40 a night you get a small room with a single double bed, a dresser, a fan or two and a small closet. You also get a great view of the picturesque Old San Juan streets, colorful buildings and all!

For an upgrade to $50 a night you lose the balcony but gain an air conditioner (you may need this as the temperatures in Puerto Rico average year round in the 80s), a tv (which, didn't work, but we didn't care as we spent 90% of our time exploring the city), a roll of toilet paper (don't laugh, sometimes the communal bathrooms run out and you're SOL - no pun intended) AND an air freshener.

As mentioned, there are communal bathrooms at the end of the hall where the rooms are located and a small kitchen area with a fridge and single burner. Depending on the individual checking you in, it may help to know Spanish. We stayed here on two separate occasions. The first night the woman who checked us in knew no English (which was fine, as my travel companion - thankfully was able to communicate with her). The second night, however we were checked in by a woman who was very fluent in English.

The Fortaleza Guest House is in a great location, in the center of Old San Juan, definitely within walking distance to a large number of stores, restaurants, a historic fort or two, a few water views, etc. While it may not be the Ritz, if you'd rather spend your money on some amazing food, an exciting excursion or even another vacation, I would definitely opt for The Fortaleza Guest House. You get what you pay for. :)
travelr29 travelr29
Fortaleza in Old San Juan Puerto Rico Jul 17, 2011
I decided to visit Puerto Rico last month (Jan. 2010). A buddy of mine suggested I stay at La Fortaleza Guest House. Fortunately everything he told me about this place was absolutely true. The location is at the heart of old San Juan. I was surrounded by good restuarants, bars, and shopping stores. I was within walking distance from el Morro forts and other historical buildings.

I paid a total of 40 dollars a night for my own room with a full size bed. This was really cheap compare to Da House hostel located half a block away. I believe they were charging me 90 dollars a night. Although the room was far from luxurious and the furtuniture was outdated, the room was clean and it had a wonderful balcony facing fortaleza street. In other words, you get what you pay for.

The staff was great. While I was staying there, there were two young lay back chill persons running the place. I got to really get to know Gracia, she is really lay back and can sing you a heck of a song if you catch her in a good mood.

In retrospect, I will definately stay there again. During my last night, I had access to the roof, where I enjoyed a nice cold beer. Once again, if you are seeking luxury, this is probably not the place for you, however, if you are like myself, just wanting a decent clean place to stay for an economical price, then this is definately a place to consider.

Good Luck
allnightermark allnight…
Cheapest place in Old San Juan Dec 03, 2010
If you are traveling on a budget and want to stay in Old San Juan, this is your place. I got a private room here with A/C and fan for $50 per night. If you don't mind sweating a little bit, you can get a room without A/C for around $20. That's a bargain for Old San Juan! Plus the location is great. You are within walking distance to the forts, and other sights in Old San Juan. You can also walk a block down and catch the free trolley that takes you to all the spots of interest in Old San Juan. If you're a foodie, Fortaleza Street is packed with some of the best restaurants in the area. Like I said, the location is great! Another thing I liked about Fortaleza was the balcony, it's a great place to people watch.

The only thing I didn't really care for was that they only have 2 shared bathrooms here, so sometimes you have to wait your turn. Other than that, great place, great price!

Compare San Juan Hotel Rates (1.8km away)

Fortaleza Guest House Map