Intramuros, Philippines

Fort Santiago Intramuros Reviews

loripori loripori
INTRAMUROS Feb 15, 2017
Thursday, January 12. 2012

Located in the northern part of the Walled City FORT SANTIAGO is one of the oldest Hispanic stone fortresses in the Philippines. The Spaniards, under the term of Governor General Gomez Perez Dasmarinas, fortified what was originally stone structures.

"Baluarte de Santa Barbara" was built in the 16th century It offers great views of the River Pasig.

It was interesting to see the same Spanish sentry stations that I saw at the fortresses in Spain.

We had some fun posing inside the concrete stations.

MANILA CATHEDRAL

The present MANILA CATHEDRAL is the sixth to rise on the site since 1581. Previous structures were destroyed by either fire or earthquake. Rebuilt in 1958, the Cathedral incorporated the Rosette windows of the old cathedral.

This is really a spectacular Cathedral. We went inside to take in its beauty and there was a wedding going on. We sat in the back rows and watched the ceremony taking place (and bonus - it was cool and air-conditioned).

After the church ceremony, the wedding party walked across the street to take pictures at PLAZA ROMA with its beautiful gardens, a fountain and a bronze statue of King Carlos IV which was installed in 1824.

SAN AUGUSTIN CHURCH

The oldest Church in the Philippines, SAN AUGUSTIN CHURCH dates way back to 1571 and is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. This beautiful church features an intricately carved main entrance door, a Baroque Pulpit and an 18th century pipe organ. There is a replica sculpture of the "Black Nazarene" . The original is carried during a long parade throughout Manila and ending at San Augustin in Intramuros. Thousands of devotees participate in this parade.

Also found here is the Tomb of Manila's founder, Miguel Lopez de Lagaspi.

The day we were there, a wedding was taking place. I've been told that it is such a popular church to have a wedding, that the waits can be as long as a year, so it has to be booked long before the wedding can take place.
Lori and Chelli

Related Travel Blogs About Fort Santiago

No!No! Its USD50 not P50
Day 1 (Jan 13 2008) BAGUIO My friends and I  reached Clark Airport at 1115H. It took us bout 4 hours to reach Clark from Kuala Lumpur. Then we took a  bus to Baguio ( North of Manila).Paid…Intramuros , Fort Santiago , and other places(we haven’t decided anything yet). We walked there. While we were on our way, we were…
Afternoon delight
The Mall of Asia is not really the biggest mall in the whole of Asia but it is huge. I can say that it is possibly one of the most beautiful malls I'd seen among the places I've been to because …Intramuros, Fort Santiago, Chinatown, Chinese Cemetery. It is just a 20-minute travel from the tourist belt of Manila(Malate…
A Walk to Remember
When we live on a place for a long time, sometimes we ignore some beautiful sites it offers. I have been living in Manila for almost seven years and I never had the wonderful chance to explore the w…Intramuros. We started in Fort Santiago and welcomed by security guards dressed in Guardia Civil (spanish guards) uniforms. The entrance…

Compare Singer Island Hotel Rates (<1km away)

Intramuros Map