Fort Macon, Morehead City, North Carolina
Morehead City, North Carolina
Fort Macon, Morehead City, North Carolina Reviews
Fort Macon, Beach, Nature Trails, Fishing, Affordable Jan 28, 2009
Brig. Gen. Simon Bernard designed Fort Macon and built by the US Army Corps of Engineers. The fort was named after Nathaniel Macon, the most noted statesman of the period. The US Army Corp of Engineeers began construction in 1826 and was completed in December, 1834. Significant upgraded were added during 1841-46. Coronel Robert E. Lee designed and suopervised these upgrades. Total cost was $463,790. Fort Macon only had a full compliment of personel during the years of 1834-36, 1842-44, 1848-49, 1897-1903 and 1941-44.
Fort Macon pentagon in shape, constructed of brick, stone and cement. There are twenty-six casemates that are enclosed by the outer walls. The thickness of th walls varies, but the average is about 4 feet.
Fort Macon.Construction of Fort Macon began in 1825. The fort was manned by the fall of 1830. A system of erosion controls was engineered by Robert E. Lee and construction began in 1841. North Carolina volunteers captured the fort from Union troops very early at the beginning of the Civil War. In 1862 both land and seas forces began to bombard Fort Macon. The fort was later attacked in 1862, and it fell back into Union hands. Union forces employed a new technology at this battle "rifled artilery". This rifling put such a spin on the projectile to permit them to bore into the brick walls of the fort before exploding. The confederate forces surrendered rather than risking the powder magazines to this new rifled artilery. All Brick, rock and cement forts failed for the same reason. Fort Macon.Fort Macon remained in Union control for the duration of the war. Fort Macon was a key supply depot for the naval blockade of southern harbors.
Today, danger of naval attack along the coast of North Carolina is unlikely, however, in the 18th and 19th centuries, the coastal areas accessable through Beaufort Inlet were attacked. Blackbeard and other pirates are known to have used Beaufort and Ocracoke Inlets and traveled up the Pamlico/Tar River as far as Grimesland, North Carolina. Beaufort fell to Spanish troops in 1747 and again to the British in 1782. The colonial leaders of the Carolinas and Virginia recognized that coastal defenses were needed to deter attacks. The North Carolina colony began construction of Fort Dobbs on the eastern point of Bogue Banks in 1755.
Fort Macon.Fort Dobbs was never finished, leaving the inlet undefended during the American Revolution. In 1807 construction began on Fort hampton, near this site. Fort Hampton played a role in thre War of 1812 defending Beaufort Inlet. Fort Hampton remained a key part of our coastal defense until a hurricane in 1825 undermined the foundations. The shoreline continued to migrate and by 1826 Fort Hampton was entirely engulfed into Beaufort Inlet.
Fort Macon servved as a federal prison from 1866 to 1877. It was recommissioned March of 1897 and manned during the Spanish-American War, mainly serving as a coal refueling station. Fort Macon was decommissioned in 1903. Congress sold the fort to the State of North Carolina in 1923 making it into the second state park. During 1934 to 1936 the Civilian Conservation Corps refurbishing, restoration and consolidation activites. Fort Macon was recommissioned again in 1940 and played a key role in coastal defences during World War II.
Part of the list Trips I Have Taken With Former TravBuddy Drivestoooofast.
Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!
Related Travel Blogs About Fort Macon, Morehead City, North Carolina
Fort Macon, Morehead City, North Carolina |
Brig. Gen. Simon Bernard designed Fort Macon and built by the US Army Corps of Engineers. The fort was named after Nathaniel Macon, the most noted statesman of the period. The US Army Corp of En… Brig. Gen. Simon Bernard designed Fort Macon and built by the US Army Corps of Engineers. The fort was named…