Fort Curtis

  based on 1 review   write a review

32205 Seaside Road, Cape Charles, VA, USA
Fort Curtis - Fort John Curtis sign
Fort Curtis - Black vulture
Fort Curtis - Stairway to the top of the fort
Fort Curtis - Information sign in front of Ft Curtis
Fort Curtis - 16' gun

Fort Curtis Cape Charles Reviews

grandmar grandmar
237 reviews
Military History of the Eastern Shore of Virginia Wildlife Refuge Feb 17, 2011
At the beginning of World War II, a lot of the land that is now part of the wildlife refuge was acquired by the federal government and named Fort John Custis, after a prominent eighteenth century resident of Northampton County

The strategic location at the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay encouraged military uses of the area in the years before the refuge was established. After World War II, the federal government acquired the land that is now the refuge. Large bunkers in the fort housed 16-inch guns designed to protect naval bases and shipyards in Hampton Roads. There were approximately 800 soldiers who defended the Bay entrance. The Fort also served as a logistical support base for east coast prisoners of war

In 1950, the U.S. Air Force changed the name of Fort John Custis to the Cape Charles Air Force Station. The Air Force occupied their AFS until 1981.

When we were looking for a place to view the lighthouse on Smith Island, we did visit the bunker area. Bob climbed to the top, but he said you couldn't see much from up there although he got a better picture of a vulture in the top of a tree.
Fort John Curtis sign
Stairway to the top of the fort
16" gun
Information sign in front of Ft Cu…
Link
Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!

Check Cape Charles Hotel Deals

Check-in:
Check-out:
Guests:
Rooms:
Fort Curtis Map
Cape Charles
photo by: FrankMcD