Formule 1 Kings Cross

Check KINGS CROSS Hotel Deals

Formule 1 Kings Cross Reviews

Sunflower300 Sunflowe…
It's a dump Nov 23, 2007
I have wanted to share my experience staying at this hotel with you for some time now; however, I found it very difficult to put into words what I want to say. My mother always used to say to me, “If you can’t find anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all.” So I looked at it a different way and have found a couple of nice things to say, but I have kept the truth so there are some not so nice things I have to say.

Lauren and I stayed here on our way back from New Zealand when we needed to find somewhere for a night. I had left it to Lauren to book this one as I had booked our single night on the way out of Australia. Poor Lauren didn’t have much luck with her hotel bookings on this trip. You may have read my blog some time ago about what happened before we even left for New Zealand so I won’t mention that again. With this hotel, on the way out of Australia I had booked us in at the Formula 1 hotel at Sydney airport, and Lauren hopped online in Queenstown and booked this hotel thinking it was the same hotel. How very unfortunate for us that it wasn’t.

Firstly, as Lauren thought she had booked us in at the Airport hotel, we headed there after landing in Sydney only to have the receptionist tell us that our booking was for the Kings Cross Formula 1. He did have one room left there but at a substantial extra cost, so we hopped in a cab to Kings Cross.

I realise this has turned into a bit of a blog, but I wanted to warn you of how easy it is to book the wrong hotel if you do not pay attention and give you a little background, but now I will tell you about the hotel.

The taxi driver had difficulty finding the entrance to the hotel and when we did find it, there was nowhere for the taxi to pull up safely to let us out. Then we had to drag our bags over curbs and driveways to get to the front door of the hotel.

Once in our room, the state of the room horrified us. First, we turned on the light, and the light switch moved under my fingers, was buckled and covered in black marks. Once the light was on, it lit up the room in all its grotty glory; the double bed cover had a tear in it and a handful of other unidentifiable stains (I don’t want to know – it is in Kings Cross after all, the red light district of Sydney). We went to look out the window and the blind covering the window had a huge hole it where the handle once was. The hotel sits right above William Street, a busy thoroughfare between the Eastern suburbs and the city, I can say however, the sound of the street did not bother us but we did have to close what was left of the blind to keep out the glow of a giant red fluorescent sign that hung just outside our window. I photographed the broken glass in the picture hanging on the wall, the dreadful water stain along the bottom of the same picture, the filthy marks and stains on the walls, and the broken toilet roll holder. I photographed the dirty window, bright fluorescent sign, the mould covered sign on the bathroom door telling us to keep the door closed while showering and the disgusting bed cover. I photographed it all.

Lauren and I did not sleep well, neither of us could get the grittiness out of our minds and imagined all sorts of creepy crawlies in our beds, however, we did not see one living creature in our room, so that is something positive.

Lauren headed off very early to catch a flight back to Hobart and wanted to make use of the shuttle bus but found out it would take over an hour to get to the airport and cost almost as much as a taxi would. I was going to stay with a friend for a couple of days so had some time to explore. The hotel is in a great position and in short walking distance to Kings Cross and many wonderful restaurants, cafes and bars. I went to breakfast in one of the side street and spent an hour or so having a look through the Cross. Kings Cross is a short train ride to the city centre or, in the opposite direction Bondi Junction where there is a wonderful shopping centre and a bus to take you to the world famous Bondi Beach.

The Formula 1 has all the standard facilities of other Formula 1’s with vendor machine meals and a continental breakfast available in the breakfast room. The hotel also offers 24hr Front Desk, Disabled Facilities, Non-Smoking Floors, a communal refrigerator, Tea and Coffee, a guest laundry, and business facilities.

The room only cost AUD79, but it was not worth it. Don’t waste your time and money. This hotel is only for you if you don’t like hostels but do want a very cheap place to sleep, but even then, I think you could do better.
View down William Street towards t…
Front entrance to the hotel with S…
Morning traffic from our room - se…
Trying to look out the window
the_bill says:
Obviously not worthy of a SM. ;)
Posted on: Jan 19, 2009
Sunflower300 says:
Thanks for your comments and smiles everyone.
I agree that it is important to let people know about hotels, the good the bad and the - Formula 1 Kings Cross. :)
Christian, I had a very good experience with the Formula 1 at Sydney Airport so was quite surprised by how dirty this place was.
Posted on: Jan 18, 2009
motacek2 says:
Great review...dont want to stay there.
Posted on: Jan 18, 2009