Former Government Building and Freedom Park

Gulia Street, Sokhumi, Georgia
Former Government Building and Freedom Park - Flags by Freedom Park
Former Government Building and Freedom Park - An entrance to the former Government Building
Former Government Building and Freedom Park - Government Building
Former Government Building and Freedom Park - Freedom Park in front of the Government Building

Former Government Building and Freedom Park Sokhumi Reviews

maykal maykal
Former Government Building and Freedom park Jul 05, 2016
Looming above the tidy Freedom Park in the main square of Sokhumi is a huge building which once housed the Council of Ministers. During the war, it was heavily damaged and set on fire, and the building has been left in an abandoned state as a reminder of the war. An Abkhazian flag has been placed on top, but other than that, the place is deserted, and there's nothing to stop you wandering around as long as you're fairly discreet. I did spot a few Russian tourists entering the main building, presumably to climb up for a view, but I'm not so sure how safe this is or whether it is officially allowed...not wishing to be injured by a piece of falling concrete or get myself arrested for trespassing, I was happy enough to take a few pictures from outside as well as explore a couple of side buildings, also in ruins.

Opposite lies Freedom Park, a place that was busy with children playing on the evening I got there, as the road between the park and the ruin had been closed to traffic, and some enterprising soul had taken a load of mini cars for kids to play on. The following day, the park was deserted, just me and a few flags fluttering in the breeze. The flags are an odd collection...as well as the many Abkhazian flags around the square, there were also the flags of Russia, South Ossetia, Transnistria, Nicaragua and Vanuatu, the countries that have recognised Abkhazia's independence (well, Vanuatu did, but withdrew recognition soon after, while Venezuela, Nauru and Nagorno Karabagh, the other countries to recognise, didn't have flags flying there).
Freedom Park in front of the Gover…
Government Building
An entrance to the former Governme…
Flags by Freedom Park
planxty says:
I don't know why but this place looks vaguely spooky to me and it is not as if I have not seen enough burned out buildings in my life. It just gives me a really odd feeling looking at it.
Posted on: Mar 26, 2017