Formel B

www.formel-b.dk - 33 25 10 66

Formel B Copenhagen Reviews

tj1777 tj1777
Formel B Jul 14, 2013
The restaurant is located a bit away from the center in Frederiksberg and at first you may think that this isn’t the right location for an upmarket restaurant. Since across from Formel B you can spot a tattoo shop and there are other signs of this area being the home to not so upmarket residents who will most likely never eat at this place – and rather go for the local kebab shop. But right here is Formel B which is still one of the best restaurants in Copenhagen when it comes to the food.

About 7 or 8 years ago this place was one of the fastest rising restaurants in Copenhagen. The young owners had already got their first Michelin star and they thought they were on the fast track to get upgraded to 2 stars category. Back then they tried to go for it but it never materialized. So in the end they gave up on the high class dinning with the set menu with 8-10 courses. Instead they changed the concept to an upmarket gourmet bistro where you order a la carte and every dish cost the same – 130 DKK or about 17€. All dishes is sort of half size dish so they recommend you eat 3-4 different dishes each plus a possible dessert – except if one of your dishes is the caviar which is a bit on the small side so you might need an extra dish in this case.

After managing to pick a few courses the food starts to arrive fairly quickly and the taste is good and presentation is generally welcoming. You can buy wine at the bottle or glass if you find that a full bottle is a bit too much for you. The concept of people ordering several glasses of wine by the glass seems to cause some problems for the staff. At least I think they made an error with my bill – but unfortunately I am not honest enough to complain about a couple of glasses of wine arriving at the table and not on the bill.

Back when they re-launched the restaurant as an upmarket bistro they increased the number of tables significantly. This had the unfortunate side effect of making the place seem a bit cramped with the neighbors close by.
The outside of the restaurant
Snack
Snack
Vanessa_Mun_Yee says:
congrats on your featured review!
Zagnut66 says:
Congrats for being featured! And what good is honesty compared to free wine?
vulindlela says:
Congrats!!
gingerbatik gingerba…
Formel B Restaurant May 13, 2013
The restaurant has one Michelin star award since March 2004 and it is kitchen inspiration comes from classical French cook with quality Danish ingredients and spiced from France and the restaurant has informal atmosphere and the waitress is very friendly but quite slow in service. It is located in Vesterbrogade and easy to find as the restaurant located at the main street. All the dishes cost the same DK130 each and it is recommend having three of four courses and the restaurant also have wide selection of wines menu to accompany the dishes.

Since I love sweet wine so much, I start the pre drink with Riesling dessert wine (I know, it may sound weird and not cultural enough – but since it is my last visit to restaurant in Copenhagen for awhile, I like to enjoy myself more). The wine was good and I really like it.

The first course starts with Baerri caviar with yoghurt sorbet and crystallized white chocolate. It taste more like dessert and also cold and I couldn’t really taste the caviar and the portion was really small. Feel quite rip off with this course. The salted salmon with radished, romaine salad, croutons and mussel cream was defined. It has four slices of salmon and was really delicious and the portion just right. My next wine also delicious and I am in heaven.

Follow with grilled scallops with fresh apple, salted hazelnut and kale. This dish also really good, but I feel the portion is really small and couldn’t taste much of the scallops. It seems they only served one scallops which cut into three slices in the plate, so not much to taste.

Next course is organic Danish lamb with caramelized onions, salsify and herbs. This lamb was really good and I couldn’t smell the lamb, and I really like this course, the meat was very tender, juicy, and tasty. Unfortunately the portion was quite small and I wishes it has bigger portion or proper portion like main meal.

Since the dishes portion was really small, we eat quite a lot of free bread provided. Too bad the bread was very hard and chewy when it was cold, not very nice for this type of restaurant, but it was okay when the bread still warm.

Last we have coffee and tea and petit four and avoid the dessert menu as nothing attractive from the menu and no cake on offer.

The restaurant is quite small and the table set closely to each other and we can hear our neigh board talking, and unfortunately our table was next to the toilet with an electric door opener so we hear so many people go in and out from the toilet and it was quite distracted.

Despite all the minus points I mention above, I give this restaurant four start as the food and presentation was really good, the downside was portion really small for the price charged.
the building from outside