Foreeign Fighters memorials, Roma.

Parco de Giancolo, Rome, Italy

Foreeign Fighters memorials, Roma. Rome Reviews

planxty planxty
They came from the four corners of the world. Jun 10, 2017
I have written elsewhere on this journal entry about getting completely lost on what I subsequently found out to be Janiculum Hill, apparently so named for the Roman god Janus (from where we get our English word January) and I had seen the monuments to Guiseppi Garibaldi and his redoubtable wife Anita which form the basis of other reviews on this page. This was all well and good, I was admittedly lost but having a great time even if it was stinkingly hot, but there was something that was puzzling me.

All over the hillside, which is where Garibaldi made a famous stand against the French as sent by the Pope (Pius IX) who wanted nothing to do with self-determination for the Roman people, I found fairly uniform sized busts of generally bearded or at least mustachioed chaps atop plinths with dates of birth and death (if my appalling Italian serves me here).

It appears that Garibaldi was joined as brothers in arms by many men from all over the globe, including my own country, the UK, who shared his political ideals and these are the men commemorated here. Many of his comrades were South American as he had certainly had a few exploits there and his wife was Brazilian of Portuguese Azorean extraction.

Somehow I found these memorials to long dead men stangely affecting and I could not help myself quietly singing a song called "Viva la Quinza Brigada" (sp?) which I learned from the singing of Christy Moore and which was written about the International Brigade fighting against Franco in Spain in the 30's. It was just the concept of idealists, be they right or wrong, travelling half way across the world to take up arms that had worked it's way into my skull. Whatever the rights or wrongs of their cause, they died here and that makes it a place worth visiting.

I have been told before that I think far too much all the time, especially when I travel, and this is very probably true. However, I make no apology for this and I was glad I saw these memorials, albeit accidentally and I would recommend any traveller to Rome with a day or two spare to go up Janiculum Hill and view this, not to mention the many other attractions and superb views. It is arguably my favourite place in Rome and these monuments are well worth viewing.
Toonsarah says:
How interesting! And well done on being featured today - nice to share the headlines with a mate ;-)
Posted on: Nov 16, 2017
planxty says:
No, thank you for commenting on it. Amazing what you can find when you're lost, isn't it?
Posted on: Nov 13, 2017