Foire Attractive

Nancy, France

Foire Attractive Nancy Reviews

planxty planxty
A once a year treat. Apr 30, 2017
On my last full day in Nancy I was just having a look round when I came across a funfair, carnival or whatever you want to call it although I believe the correct term in French is Foire Attractive. It may certainly have been described as attractive but the word I would more readily have used was huge. I have seen many such events before and this was easily the largest I have ever witnessed. It was centred on the Cours Leopold which is a reasonably large space and literally took it up completely. Naturally I had to have a look round which I did.

I was actually lucky enough to find the fair when I did as subsequent research shows that it visits Nancy annually for the entire month of April and this was now the 30th of the month.

Walking around, I saw every kind of ride and attraction you could imagine from pretty tame crousels etc. for the youngsters up to some pretty terrifying looking pieces of equipment for the hardier adult souls. I must say that I love rollercoasters and the likes in theme parks but I am just never convinced about the safety of something that is moved about on the back of a lorry and stuck up in the middle of a park. I just cannot see how they can be stable enough. I have no doubt that the French have some very efficient health and safety types to check such things but I thought I'd give it a swerve.

Obviously with it being France, food and drink were very much in evidence and I most certainly did not swerve one or two of the beer establishments although it certainly did put a strain on the wallet but I suppose that is to be expected. As for the food, well, it was certainly several steps up from the greasy hamburgers and two day old hot dogs you would be likely to be served at such an event in UK. The French really do know how to do food and apart from all the usual tooth-rotting treats for the kids, there were entire fmaily groups sitting down to meals that would not have looked out of place in a permanent bistro a mile down the road. I think my favourite was the two complete sides of meat awaiting barbecueing. Judging by the amount of wood laid out for fuel, it was going to be some barbecue.

As always, I hope my images do the Foire more justice than my meagre prose does. I do realise it is a once a year event but, if the reader happens to be here in April, which is not a bad month to visit, then it is well worth a look even if you have not got the little ones with you.

Foire Attractive, Nancy.
You won't get me on there.
A nice calm one for the little one…
Crepes - how very French.

Check Nancy Hotel Deals