Flying Via Air China

Beijing, China

Flying Via Air China Beijing Reviews

cotton_foam cotton_f…
I enjoyed my trip for its money’s worth. Apr 05, 2015
On 29 Mar 15, May and I flew to Beijing, China from San Francisco nonstop flight for 12 hours and 15 minutes. Beijing is 15 hours ahead of San Francisco time and factor in crossing the international time zone makes one feel traveling for two days.

For this trip, it was the tour company that booked with Air China in our behalf. The tour package we have purchased did include the airfare.

The airline we flew in was Boeing 777 300 ER (extended range) that can operate 12 to 14 hours with a full load of passengers.

Our flight was an hour and a half delayed due to a maintenance problem. After the defective part has replaced, the boarding commenced for first class, business class and per rows starting from the back of the airplane.

The aircraft was 98% filled. Seating is in high-density arrangements of three-three-three. The first class alignment was one for each window seats, two for isle; business class had two for each window and two for isle with much legroom, wider seats and more space for relaxation.

I noticed right away there are no amenities (toothpaste, face mask, pairs of sleepers or sleeper socks) given to each passenger as compared to Turkish Airlines or Philippine Airlines. These items reserved only for first and business class passengers! When you asked nicely for one, they will provide, nonetheless. I did ask, and the stewardess gave me one! Blankets and pillows are of course standard.

They served a bottled mineral water, soda, juice, coffee, tea, and sparkling wine in disposable small cups, wished it was in sparkling champagne glasses.

Two dinner(!) meals served. First, meal served two hours into the flight. Second time meal served after maybe six hours. May, asked if she could have a regular meal instead of the prearranged ones because they were bland. The Flight attendant said she would get back with us if they have extras. We were about to finish our diabetic meals; when a flight attendant brought us the regular meal. Well, at least she didn't forget our request. It pays to ask. :)

In-flight crews are polite and friendly.

Entertainments embedded on the back seat in front of you with choices of action, drama, romance, comedy, and kids for movies. For audio, there are selections of Chinese songs and games. A passenger may also have the choice to shop on their duty-free shopping brochure. And lastly, there are selections of e-books or e-magazine, too. Btw, headphones work perfectly. Sometimes, touch screen took a long time work, but it does work.

Announcements were in Chinese and translated into English, which is sometimes hard to understand. Mobile devices were strictly prohibited for use when the aircraft once inside until doors open upon arrival. The cabin temperature being controlled, there is no personal, directional air-conditioned diffuser. No charging units for mobile devices because they prohibit the use of any electronic device.

The flight was smooth all the way with very mild turbulence as we were near our final destination.

Landing on both occasions were one of the best, smooth touchdowns even though it was raining when we arrived; both in Beijing and San Franciso.

A week has passed, and it was time for the return flight back to the mainland USA. Again we have used a Boeing 777 300 ER to transport us back. And, we push back from the terminal was 4 minutes late. This time flying back east is like faster than traveling west. One factor in crossing international zone is it make the flying feel like only 7 hours. Of course, there is a 15-hour time difference.

Two meals served for the duration of this flight, a dinner, and a breakfast.

We left at 3:44 P.M. (local time) and arrived the same day at 11:45 A.M. (local time.) We did encounter mild turbulences throughout the flight because of storm clouds. I slept a little bit while watching a movie and kept rewinding parts I missed. In-flight entertainments terminated 20 minutes before landing.

Overall, I enjoyed my trip for its money’s worth for a shoestring traveler flying aboard a legacy carrier. Would I recommend traveling with this carrier? My answer is, yes!

Flight reviewed by Ed
standard provisions -- blanket and…
anewchapter says:
I hate when they tell people the flight is delayed due to "maintenance" or a "technical fault", it doesn't exactly fill me with confidence.
EvaJ27 says: