Flying RyanAir

Liverpool, England

Flying RyanAir Liverpool Reviews

jeminigirl jeminigi…
Cheap Flights - Beware of hidden extras Jun 05, 2012
We had booked our city break to Barcelona through the TravelRepublic website and had watched the price of flights come down quite considerably over a couple of weeks, the flights started off in excess of 160GBP each but at the time of booking we got them at 88GBP each or so we thought.

The Hidden Extras & Potential Additional Costs

Once our booking had been completed I received a confirmation email from Ryanair and immediately came across the first hidden extra - 12GBP each administration fee.

On Line Check-in

With Ryanair checking in on line is more or less compulsory, arrive at the airport without boarding cards and they will charge you 60GBP per person per flight to do this for you.

Hand Luggage Size regulations

Ryanair have a very strict rule on the size/weight of hand luggage, any piece of luggage bigger than 55cm x 40cm x 20cm (21" x 15" x 7") and weighing more that 10KG you will be told that it will have to be placed in the hold at a cost of 50GBP per unit.

Additionally hold luggage is charged at 50GBP for 15KG and 70GBP for 20KG.

The Ryanair Experience

We arrived at John Lennon airport armed with two copies of both our booking confirmation and boarding cards (just in case one of us lost/misplaced the information) - we were not going to be stung for a checking in cost of 60GBP per person per flight!!!

We headed straight through security and into the departure lounge. We had to keep checking the information boards for our boarding gate as we assumed it would be a mad stampede once the gate was announced as Ryanair do not allocate your seats prior to boarding the aircraft. The stampede ensued with about 20 mins to our take off time. We were quite lucky to be about a third of the way down into the long queue.

Having travelled with budget airlines before but never with Ryanair I was curious as to how they would perform against their rivals - Oh dear, was my first thought as we witnessed every single passenger before us have their hand luggage weighed before proceeding through the first door and waiting in two separate lines to show our boarding passes. The speedy boarders were the first to board (having paid an additional 5GBP for the privilege.) But low and behold before their boarding card was checked staff placed a little wire rack at the front of the queue which each passenger had to place their luggage into, if it fitted freely you could proceed - if not (and it happened on a number of occasions on our return flight) the luggage would have to be placed in the hold. Luckily my lil case weighed in at 7KG and fitted perfectly into the wire rack!!!

Now the one thing that really irritated me during this process was the fact that no matter how small ladies' handbags were we were all told to place them inside our hand luggage prior to boarding. The reason why I feel this is so unfair is the fact that you can quite freely take a huge duty free carrier bag full of alcohol on board in addition to your hand luggage. WHY??????? What is the difference between a handbag and a heavy carrier bag???? - RANT OVER

On Board

Seats are pretty much standard with yellow and blue trim, and quite comfortable. We had picked seats a couple of rows in front of the emergency exit on the wing. However, as the aircraft filled up a member of cabin crew asked if we would mind giving up our seats for a family travelling together. We obliged, but wished we had not as the family did not even acknowledge our gesture and we had to take up seats further down the plane. In my opinion if you are travelling together, especially with children (and I have) you should make a point of getting to the boarding gate as quickly as possible.

Cabin crew were well presented and polite, service on board was good with two trolley services through the duration of the outbound flight - one for food and one for beverages. As to be expected though, they were quite costly. However. on our return flight the service was extremely slow and we must have been airborne for over and hour before the drinks trolley arrived.

Timings were excellent on our departure flight (had to endure a bugle serenade on landing - apparently if the flight is early or on time this always happens.) Our return flight from Barcelona was delayed for around and hour, and the staff were a bit surly on the boarding gate, they also made a fair amount of money on the luggage charges!!!

All in all quite a pleasant experience, apart from all the nit-picking rules and regulations!!!
jeminigirl says:
Thanks for the warning Kim, another airline I need to avoid - haha =)
Posted on: Apr 27, 2013
sarahsan says:
Interesting review Allie! Really don´t understand the point of putting your handbag into the carry on, just to take it out again. Have never flown RyanAir. Their reputation doesn´t make me want to try them either.
If you haven´t seen the video about cheap flights on youtube, check it out on:
It´s hilarious!
Posted on: Jun 16, 2012
jeminigirl says:
Hi Daniel, thanks for the added info - any idea as to what the hold charges are during the winter? I can see your point with No2, though how you could get more that 10KG in a small suitcase is beyond me :)

As for point 3, we'll have to agree to differ on that one - can't see the point, especially as once on board, all handbags are brought out again, didn't see any cabin crew complain about it - probably because the majority were paying for the pricey refreshments :)
Posted on: Jun 15, 2012