Flying Pig Downtown

Flying Pig Downtown Rates and Deals

Flying Pig Downtown Amsterdam Reviews

counsel counsel
'High'ly recommended place for a stay in Amsterdam Feb 18, 2013
The most common things to do in Amsterdam are relaxing in a coffee shop or a smoking room, walking in the Red-Light District and of course visiting the museums around the city. I can say this hostel provides the first one tremendously.

Me and my 2 other friends have stayed there for 3 nights. Everything was good. The rooms, showers and beds were clean. People at the reception were so friendly and helpful to us. The hostel is located just near the city centre, walking distance to every attraction. The safety is provided by security cards.

The hostel has a wonderful room for smoking. The music is nice and the atmosphere is perfect. It's a nice place to meet new people and enjoy. Some rooms have their own smoking/drinking places outside. I must say it's very difficult to find a cheap hostel near downtown in Amsterdam and this hostel isn't cheap too. But the facilities and the location are great. So, it's highly recommended.
manowce manowce
great location, but high rates Jun 05, 2012
Location: only few steps from the railway station, city center, bars, restaurants and all places that are worth seeing. i can't imagine better place!

Cleanliness: clean rooms and bathrooms, sheets and kitchen, makes you feel comfortable!

Safety: keycards, which you need to use while entering the hostel and when entering the room. in every room there's huge metal chest for your stuff, with a place for padlock (not included, so bring your own).

Area: it might get a little bit noisy, because it's in a busy area, but nothing really annoying or that you couldn't stand after long day, when all you can do is just fall dead asleep.

Price: place is bit expensive (30 euros/night in june), but i'm not surprised - the location is amazing.

Food: breakfast was included, rather standard, bread, cheese, eggs, jam, water, juice, cereal and stuff. if you like to eat heavy, there are several places around to grab a bite.

Rooms: just enough space, mine had private bathroom (it was for 8 or 10 beds, girls only). socket near every bed (even if you got the top one!), with special phone holder (very convenient!) and little light.

Common area: bar (which is also the front desk), pool table, chillout room (you can smoke in there), kitchen, a little bit of everything you might need.
this little guy i've met in the ki…
front desk/bar
Chloelf Chloelf
Perfect for a few days Aug 11, 2011
The flying Pig hostel is a cool place in the centre of Amsterdam. I stayed there for three nights while travelling and I found it to be a really lively hostel with cool people. Wehn we first arrived we were given the key to our room, we had previously decided to stay in a mixed dorm in a double bed, myself and my friend Catherine, it just worked out cheaper. We went down to our room and there was some fella sleep in our bed, so we went back up to reception and they changed the sheets for us. The beds were a little uncomfortable, my back hurt when I woke up. The staff are really friendly and I think they live in the hostel because their room was next to ours. You can smoke in the hostel, but not in your room. Outside they have a hammock and really cool smoking area. Overall I thought the hostel was average but pretty cheap so I was happy.
Flying Pig
asummersbreeze asummers…
Great Hostel to meet new people!! Mar 25, 2011
I stayed at this hostel in Amsterdam for 3 days and met all kinds of people. I stayed in an room with 18 people, which was great if you want to mingle, but they also offer rooms with less people in them. Has a great bar, pool table, backpack lockers, a safe for passports and breakfast included with each night's stay. Staff is really friendly, beds are clean & comfortable and you'll be sure to have a great time. It is also only 2 blocks away from the red light district if your wanting to check it out :)
Map to Hostel
mjay11085 mjay11085
The Flying Pig Mar 16, 2011
It's a fun place close to the entertainment of Amsterdam. Minutes away from the red light district in the heart of Amsterdam. Lots of history. Great atmosphere.
interdoc interdoc
Centric backpacking Hostel Mar 02, 2011
Free breakfast, bar with cheap beer and drinks, free internet, good location, nice atmosphere, smoking roomm, you don't need nothing more!
reception
kelleb kelleb
Flying Pig DT - fun hostel in Amsterdam! Oct 02, 2010
Sweeeet hostel in Amsterdam! Located within a 10 minute walk from the train station, The Flying Pig Downtown couldn't be in a better location. Right in the heart of Amsterdam, this hostel is within walking distance of most sights and attractions including clubs, coffee shops, restaurants, etc... There are many different rooms that make up the hostel, with up to 32 person rooms. The beds are queen size bunks, which were interesting but kind of fun and a good way to save $$! My friend and I shared a top bunk for €12 each.. which was very reasonable compared to other hostels in the area. We were also given a very large locker that held ALL of our belongings and eased our minds while gone for the day.

The hostel has many amenities and facilities that made our stay enjoyable.. including: pool table in a fun/relaxed/open area with a full bar, nice and helpful staff, free wi-fi and breakfast, chill-out type room for hangin... also the hostel is very secure making you feel safe, guests are given a key card allowing you access 24 hours a day...

We really enjoyed our stay at the Pig. Because of it's popularity it can be hard to make a booking (especially last minute which is usually my style.. :P ) however like many other hostels if you go down to the desk in the morning around check in it's possible there will be a cancellation. Unfortunately my cell phone didn't adjust from London time and we woke up an hour late and missed the opportunity to stay another night :/ However our time at the Pig was lovely and I'd recommend it to anyone that wants to have a good time in Amsterdam!
The Flying Pig DT
Happy to be at the Pig!
Jeaga bombs in the bar..
Me and Ally's bed!! How romantic.
Travelbuddys Travelbu…
Nice Hostel Apr 12, 2010
We stayed in this hostel for 2 nights and had a great time. It is right in the middle of amsterdams shopping area. From here it is just a short walk to all of amsterdams famous sights. The hostel has good rooms and beds. The bar is almost 24 hours open. For those who like to smoke (you know what) it is possible from 5 pm. The price is good, but make sure you make reservations before you come. It's full most of the times. Average age is between 16 and 30 years old. most are backpackers who visit the city only for a few days.Have fun there. Atmosphere is very relax and nobody is in a rush.

Would you like to find out more on what our Flying Pig Amsterdam hostels and Beach youth hostel are all about, check out there site for prices, facilities (kitchen!), locations, pictures, movies, handy links, a forum and free downloads like an Amsterdam City Guide and Podscroll, a walking tour, directions to the Flying Pig youth hostels on your cell phone and more
mandzs mandzs
Best Hostel in Amsterdam Dec 29, 2010
I was recommended the Flying Pig Downtown hostel for my first trip there. It was perfect for the small group of us. Everyone was really friendly, and there were many amenities for a hostel. By far one of the best hostels I have stayed at in all of Europe. Highly recommended.
MrD3071 MrD3071
Getting my bacon! Nov 02, 2010
Definately the best hostel I've stayed at. The hostel is located fifteen minutes walk away from the red light district, and twenty minutes from the main clubbing scene in Amsterdam (with plenty of pubs and resturants nearby). The price is higher then some of the other nearby hostels, but is cheaper then hotels.

I had a really brilliant time there, this was the first hostel I ever visited and cannot believe how friendly and welcoming it was. I wasnt too nervous, but since I was traveling for the first time (and alone) I didnt know what to expect. The first night there was unfortgetable! Not only did I learn the joys of cheap(ish) local dutch beer (which was GOOD beer) but the barman directed me and some of the friends I made to one of the messiest bar crawls I've ever been on! This is definately the place to come if your looking for a good time! What I liked the most about this hostel is the cool and laidback atmosphere, the staff are really friendly and helpful too!

Since then I've been back to visit (though I decided to check out the Uptown, which is equally as brilliant but doesnt have quite as central location,) definately worth a go!
A picture I took while on my bed. …
Standard bunk beds, I like the way…
Africancrab says:
Interesting.
Posted on: Dec 03, 2010
BeachBum429 BeachBum…
Fun but loud hostel Jan 13, 2008
I stayed at the Flying Pig Downtown in January 2008. I had a blast there. If you are up for a party and meeting tons of people this is the place for you. If you want to sleep and get a good nights rest look for a different place. I loved the vibe there but I can't say the bed was comfy or it was ever quiet. I opted for a 16 person room and there was always someone in and out and usually everyone was wasted on some level so they weren't aware of the noise. My suggestion is have a few drinks before bed time.

Though you got free breakfast (not much but free). And there was lots of room to hang out and meet new people plus a bar in the hostel. It was very safe and had a big locker under the beds.
casmulls casmulls
Mar 08, 2007
I had such a good time at the Flying Pig. As a solo female traveler i felt completely safe staying there and it is an easy walk from the train station. It is not a place to stay if you are looking for rest. This is a party/loud hostel and I was in a dorm with 16 beds with people coming in and out all night. It is great though if you are looking to party, easily meet people, and just have a great time. There is a bar which is very condusive to meeting people, especially for the lone traveler. There is a great lounge area with lots of pillows where you need to take your shoes off to enter. The bathrooms are generally clean and the showers warm. the beds were not too bed either, just your typically hostel bed but not dirty. i would stay there again for sure. book ahead! it fills up fast.
MrD3071 says:
I have to agree, when I visited last year I was a solo traveler, and I was a little nervous because it was my first time traveling (let alone doing it solo) and I had a brilliant time!
Posted on: Nov 02, 2010
travelman727 says:
Any hostel named the flying pig has got to be fantaSTYck :-D
Posted on: May 17, 2007
jefrois jefrois
Nov 25, 2007
The Flying Pig Downtown Hostel is what you think of when you want a relatively cheap stay in Amsterdam. It is in the center of the city, a few block from Central Station, minutes from the Amsterdams' historical center as well as the Red Light District ;)

This backpackers mecca is home to one of the friendliest staffs around, great atmostphere, a bar, and a billiards room. Oh, if you are here just to smoke up and relax there is a lounge area full of pillows set aside just for this purpose :)))

It is home to some of the craziest and wildest parties around, allowing guests to have all the fun of Amsterdam without even leaving the hostel haha...

The staff is from literally all over the world, someone will speak your language if it is not english or dutch, are very helpful. They have the info on where to party, where to eat, what to see, and where to buy the best weed in town! If you are in need of a relatively cheap stay, in search of a great atmosphere and an awesome experience, The Flying Pig Downtown is where it is at...
jefrois says:
Haha that is an inside secret missy! what happens at the pig stays at the pig ;)
Posted on: Feb 18, 2008
jefrois says:
Haha you know it ;)
Posted on: Dec 17, 2007
carolaperla says:
plus you can't beat the heineken vending machines :):):)
Posted on: Dec 17, 2007
rudegurl rudegurl
Jun 25, 2007
The flying pig hostel is a great place to stay. Every moring you can grab breakfast (which is included) in the basement cafe and chill out on the couch and watch tv. Or go back upstairs and hang out in the chill circle in the front of the lobby, but remember no shoes allowed. Cheap drinks at the bar and pool table.they also provide you with free internet under 30mins so no chatting to frineds online for 3hrs. The center of town is just a short taxi ride away. and if you feel like chill out on the beach, theres a shuttle that takes you there and back. The hostel is just a short walk fromt he train station. And everything you'll need to survive while in amsterdam is also a very short walk from the hostel.

Check Flying Pig Downtown Rates and Deals