Flying Dog

Flying Dog Rates and Deals

Flying Dog Iquitos Reviews

andrejav andrejav
Dog fly away, who is next... Jun 19, 2011
By not doing my homework of asking people for hostel recommendation, I ended up in most commercial one in Iquitos. Flying Dog is a chain of hostels trough Peru, and this one is their newest baby.

It is located on Malecon-Boardwalk, right on the edge of Belen, Iquitos slum that is considered the most dangerous area of the city. Few blocks from Belen market and 5 blocks from main square makes it kind of ok location for exploring the city. Primary ways of moving around are moto taxis (3 soles will take you 2km around) or cool wooden cabin made-up busses that cost only 0.80 sol.

Hostel is constantly locked behind iron bars due to the area security issues, and you have to call people to open it for you. Reception is in large common area that has TV, upper floor is made like hotel with private rooms, and on the bottom floor there are few dorms.

My dorm was for four people, bunk beds (a bit short and with borders on the sides), had lockers and it was clean. Bathroom is outside and doubles for shower. Huge minus for the room is lack of netting on windows, so mosquitoes and other bugs use opportunity to visit you at all times…

Despite advertising that they have internet, that is not really the case, if you don’t count telephone connection available only at the computer from front desk. They also have internal issues with water (nothing to do with water in the surrounding area), and as far as I understood their pump does not work all the time and that is why we don’t have water. It is not water that you can drink, but shower and restroom should have water…

Breakfast is included in the price of 30 soles, and consists of bread, butter, jam and instant coffee. What I did not like about the price was that the real dorm price online is 26 soles, but they try to scam you for 30 soles, and we are talking out of the season, only few people in hostel… Well they tried and lost few of us after the first night.

People that work in hostel are very nice and will try to arrange trips and explain the area to you.

Belen market is very interesting place, and you should go there around 7am when most of the meet market is in full swing and place is still kind of clean. Watch out for pick pockets, they are very good and fast. You can also get a boat to take you around floating part of Belen, but it is not that exiting or safe. If you are going with a “tour” it would cost you 30s each, but if you go to the market, and just see some of security personnel at the docks, they will recommend someone to take you around for 20-30soles for everyone, and it will be safe and pleasant. Area is extremely dirty, with fesses dropping from pipes directly in the water around you, dogs are filthy with all kinds of skin issues and place looks like nightmare for any sanitary inspection. Be careful what you eat, how and where is prepared… I abstained from meet for few days, and hopefully did not pick up any parasites… Many of the nice colonial buildings in the center are populated with military, and they are mostly covered with nice tiles.

I was disappointed with this hostel, and went looking for other options. My suggestions in the area are Hobo Hideout for its good price (17.5 soles) cleanliness and nice environment, Mad Mike’s for dirt cheap bunking (a bit dirty too, but you can’t beat the price of only 10 soles), or one that I chose, Camiri floating hostel for total Iquitos experience (dorm from 20-25 soles).
Dogs in town are full of strange d…
Bricked up buildings on malecon
Turtle on Belen market
d2amy d2amy
Quiet for Iquitos Jul 10, 2010
We were told about this place a fellow traveler only a few days before we arrived in Iquitos. For any of you who have been to Lima, you might have heard of the Flying Dog hostel, as there are 4 in Lima. When we stayed at the one in Iquitos, it has only been open for a month or so, and during our 3 nights stay, there were only 4 guests in the whole hostel.

It was 30 soles for a dorm room, but we lucked out and got one that had only two beds, so it was basically a private. The only pain was the light to the kitchen was inside our room, and the light to our bedroom was in the kitchen. Really need to work on their wiring I think.

The beds were great, especially after a 4 night jungle stay. Couldn't have asked for any better of a bed.

We stayed 4 nights in total, 3 at the beginning, and 1 after our tour. The guy who worked the desk for the first 3 nights spoke impeccable english, and through out works I didn't even know the correct meaning of. The guy who worked the door the last night, spoke minimal, but both were extremely friendly.

All in all I would definitely recommend this hostel, it might change though once it becomes more known for people traveling to Iquitos, who knows.

Would also like to mention I watched the final of the world cup here, so it will always hold a place.

Related Travel Blogs About Flying Dog

Flying Dog Hostel - Iquitos
On the second day I moved to my hostel of choice - ‘The Flying Dog’. This was significantly better and actually had some other people in, yay! As well as a small kitten that intermittentl…Flying Dog’. This was significantly better and actually had some other people in, yay! As well as a small kitten that intermittently slept on me or attacked…

Check Flying Dog Rates and Deals