Flåmsbana (Flåm Railway)

Flam, Norway

Flåmsbana (Flåm Railway) Flam Reviews

davidx davidx
Snow to sea Jun 23, 1998
I love unusual railways and that certainly has to include a mountain railway that goes from well above the snowline down to only a matter of feet above sea level by the shores of the Aurlandfjord. It starts at Myrdal on the famous railway line from Oslo to Bergen. While waiting there I met an American whose name is Flåm, going for the first time to research his ancestry.

It hardly needs saying that the scenery is stunning. At one station everybody gets out to admire a great waterfall. They say there is a siren here singing for men to join her. It ust be true because I saw her - in a red coat - but I wonder why the music seemed to be coming from the train behind me rather than from the siren ??

However, I shall concentrate here on the technicalities of the line, which of course means I have to pluck from the website. The gradient is 55/1000 on almost 80% of the line, i.e. a gradient of one in eighteen. It drops aproximately 2600 feet in about 12 miles. it has 20 tunnels.

Safety is hardly an issue with 5 independent braking systems, each capable of stopping the whole train from any coach.

The train is part of the tour called 'Norway in a Nutshell.' This is basically a circulr route from Voss going to Myrdal on hte oslo-Bergen line, down to Flåm on this line, to Gudvangen by ferry and back to Voss by bus. There is no need to treat the area in this way. I chose to do both the Flåm railway and the ferry in both directios and drop the road bit.
Where the siren sings