Fletcher Hotel-Restaurant Apeldoorn

73 Soerenseweg, Apeldoorn, Netherlands
Fletcher Hotel-Restaurant Apeldoorn - The way breakfast is served
Fletcher Hotel-Restaurant Apeldoorn - Bread counter
Fletcher Hotel-Restaurant Apeldoorn - Selection of breakfast food
Fletcher Hotel-Restaurant Apeldoorn - First room. Notice the metal bars outside the windows
Fletcher Hotel-Restaurant Apeldoorn - Bathroom
Fletcher Hotel-Restaurant Apeldoorn - Second room
Fletcher Hotel-Restaurant Apeldoorn - Spilled coffee

Fletcher Hotel-Restaurant Apeldoorn Reviews

ik-ben-10eke ik-ben-1…
Once - but not again Mar 30, 2015
Updated September 2015 - see below.

Our anniversary, at the end of March, was a good moment to spend that hotel voucher I previously bought. In March the weather sometimes could be chilly and rainy, so I checked for a hotel with some indoors facilities.

With these special offers there are usually some restrictions on how to make the reservation though, and for this one the reservation only could be made "last minute" - 12 days in advance while there was a limited amount of rooms available. However, I had the choice of all 3 star Fletcher hotels in the Netherlands, but the one I wanted (with a special whisky bar) was already fully booked. I had a small back-up list, but no luck with those either. For an extra fee the 4-star hotels were also available, and since I really liked the Veluwe part of the Netherlands I checked availability at the hotel Apeldoorn, which had a bar, a restaurant, an English pub, and some wellness. We would go for the drinks in this one, that pub sounds promising. And fortunately they had a room for us, so the reservation was made.

Our anniversary day was a bit chilly, but sun was shining between the showers, and we had an easy drive. We arrived at the hotel about 11.30, parked the car, and went in to see if we already could check-in. But no way, we had to wait till later that afternoon. On my question if we could have some coffee the girl at the desk pointed out the bar, which was close to the reception desk. Here we waited for someone to take our order, but after almost 10 minutes I began to wonder whether it might be a selfservice bar. We waited a few minutes more, but since no-one showed up we decided to leave and have a coffee somewhere else.

When we walked out of the bar a waitress was just walking towards us, exclaiming she was sorry to see us go; we got back to have our coffee anyway, and she brought it to us spilled over the brim. Few staff showed up at this bar, but when I saw another girl I asked her if I had to pay or if she could write it on our account, although we did not checked-in. I only had to give my name and it was settled. But that simple cup of coffee took over half an hour....

After the coffee we toured the area and had a late lunch or early dinner in a restaurant in the area, then we got back to the hotel. Now we could check-in, and the key was handed over so we - by ourselves - could go to our room

.... where the very small flatscreen of the TV set was not functioning. So I called receptiondesk to get some instructions how to handle, with no result. They would send someone to the room, and in about 10-15 minutes there was a knock on the door, but alas, this man neither could get it working. So we needed to change rooms, from first floor to second, ...oops that one had a shower, did we really want the bathtub? Yes, we did, and that would get us to a downstairs room. So we got everything in the bags again (the 4-star class staffmember kindly urged us to let him carry those) and were brought to room 007. Sigh.... but finally settled.

Let's see if we could have a drink at that English pub! So we looked for it, but then someone told us it was not open that night. Hmm... the hotelsite did not mention closing days. Another small disappointment, counting them to the not being welcomed at first entrance, the time we had to wait for someone to show up at the bar, the spilled coffee, the need to change rooms....

Than the night came, and we slept in the comfortable beds, until it started to rain again, and that rain would last biggest part of the night. Nothing to be bothered about you think? On the contrary, the windows were barred with some metal decoration or horizontal bars, you name it. And the rain drip-drap-dropped in an unpredictable clattering pattern on every part of it, like an ongoing alarm-clock.

Allright, next morning: Hotel-breakfast, a start of the day to look forward to. Breakfastroom was the nice glass covered terrace, some kind of winter-garden idea. There was an acceptable selection of breakfast food, which was nicely displayed - in the hallway beyond the restaurant...

After this meal it was time to pack our stuff and check-out. And again some little point of critique: I had to mention the coffee we had the previous day because it was not added to our account.

Overall impression: The hotel is at a nice location, ideal for touring the north-west part of the Veluwe, and at walking distance from the city centre. Most members of the staff are friendly and helpfull. Hardly any service at the bar. The amenities are below average, especially considering this is a 4-star hotel. Not all facilities could be used.

My opinion is that the hotel is not worth its 4 stars.

Update September 2015: I informed the hotel chain of my review, and got a message from the management of the particular hotel. The matter will be discussed with the team to improve their quality of service. For my inconvience I was give a dinner cheque.
Spilled coffee
First room. Notice the metal bars …
Second room
Bathroom
Ils1976 says:
so sad to hear
Posted on: Oct 06, 2015
vances says:
What a shame...especially ruining such a special occasion. Thank you for the warning!

:^(
Posted on: Sep 19, 2015
ik-ben-10eke says:
Zo'n voucher is leuk om er een keertje uit te zijn in een andere omgeving, maar inderdaad hoef je niet teveel van zo'n hotel te verwachten.
Wat is jouw ervaring met Best Western? Dat durf ik ook niet goed meer. NH gaat wel prima.
Posted on: Jul 14, 2015