Five Reasons Hostel & Hotel

Check Nuremberg Hotel Deals

Five Reasons Hostel & Hotel Nuremberg Reviews

tombom07 tombom07
Neat, affordable gem in the walls of Nuremberg Dec 26, 2016
I booked six nights in a 4-bed-dorm at Five Reasons Hostel for a winter trip to Nuremberg. It cost me £26/night, which I found to be reasonable for the busy time of year and general cost of Germany.

Five Reasons is located within the city walls, a ten-minute walk from the centre square of Nuremberg and ideal for exploring the city. This is particularly convenient in the lead up to Christmas when the busy Christmas markets are held. It is literally less than a minute walk from the nearest underground station 'Opernhaus,' which is part of the line that runs to/from the airport (about a twenty-minute ride, three euros one way). Honestly, it was the quickest I've ever found a hostel upon arrival in a new city.

I'll follow with the one negative, which is not particularly bad but I'd like to address it. I don't really like sleeping in bunk beds (clambering in and out of a top bunk/feeling other people shuffling around) and so through Booking.com I specifically booked a dorm with 'single beds' rather than bunks, for about an extra £10 across the six nights. Upon arrival I found that I had been placed in a room with bunk beds. I went downstairs and immediately checked with the girl on reception and was assured that all of the rooms were the same. I took her word for it, assuming that I'd just misread something on the website when booking. I had to sleep in a top bunk on the first night, but moved down to a bottom bunk bed for the next five once somebody else had moved on so it wasn't a major issue.

When I returned back to the UK I checked again online and was disheartened to see that the hostel clearly does advertise dorm rooms with single beds. There are even pictures of this style of room.

It's not a huge deal but if I was going to be placed in a bunk-style room then I would have just selected that one in the first place as it was a slightly cheaper option. I just think that the staff could have handled it better. I would have preferred to be told on arrival that there had been a mix up and then arranged to be moved rooms, or that the staff had just been honest up front and compensated me the difference.

Other than this, I had no qualms with the hostel.

The staff were extremely pleasant and helpful whenever I had questions about the city or getting around. Reception is open 24 hours. There are several cheap options for breakfast/beverages or a kitchenette for use if you prefer to self cater.

The dorm rooms were really spacious and it was clean throughout the hostel. Rooms are cleaned daily (bins emptied, new sheets for beds whose residents have checked out). There are also large lockers in the rooms that require a one euro coin for locking. Radiators were thankfully present in our room, which were a necessity at the time of year. The cleaners must have turned them off during the day time as I always had to make sure to put them back on at max temperature in good time for the night.

The bunk beds are comfortable enough, although the pillows were a bit flat and needed folding over in my case to be somewhat suitable for sleeping on.

The communal bathrooms were always spotless and shower pressure powerful and as hot or cold as you like.

Free wifi was available throughout the hostel. I also noticed ipads for use at reception.

Overall, in spite of the little problem with my booking, I really enjoyed Five Reasons Hostel and would highly recommend it. I would have rated this higher at five stars if my problem had been addressed. I left another online review and received no response from the hostel.
Kitchenette of Five Reasons Hostel…
Dining area of Five Reasons Hostel…
Breakfast menu, Five Reasons Hoste…
Dining area of Five Reasons Hostel…
diisha392 says:
Congrats on your feature!
Posted on: Jan 10, 2017
simsing says:
Congrats on the feature, Tom!
Looks like a great hostel!
Posted on: Jan 09, 2017