Fishing Museum

(+47) 93 42 54 06

Fishing Museum Molde Reviews

davidx davidx
Old fishery life Jun 30, 1997
Fishing museums are not what any of my friends would expect to hear me rave about. However this is not so much a fishing museum with lots of bits of ships, harpoons and pictures - but a museum of life in fishery in Norway in the 19th and early 20th centuries.

I'll be honest. I was knackered and only wanted to fill in time whist waiting for a ferry across the Moldefjord. The International Jazz Festival, that I had hit by chance, was terrific but I had seen and heard enough. No point in going to the park from which over forty peaks could be seen on a day when zero peaks would be seen. OK - the fishing museum would have to do.

The boat trip to the little Hjert√łya island only took about ten minutes. It was idyllic and I vaguely wondered about giving the museum a miss and just enjoying the island for a time. However there was a very pleasant museum official to meet us at the wharf and I was tempted into joining the others, all Norwegians.

Right from the start I realised this was far from my rather dreary expectations. This was a fishing village with the houses showing the furniture and artefacts they would have been when the industry was thriving. The fishermen (all men) were seasonal residents and there would be about one maid to twelve men in a typical house. The master's house, of course, was a startling contrast.

When we realised the tour was limited by the timing of ferries one of the party offeed to translate for me so that the guide did not need to give his commentary in two languages. To my amazement he did what appeared perfect simultaneous translation.

Even having been, if I ever have time again in Molde, I shall go again and I heartily recommend it.
Fishing museum, Molde.
Glynnes says:
Nice review. Thanks!
Posted on: Aug 08, 2010
sarahsan says:
Thanks David! Another museum I have to check out!
Posted on: Aug 08, 2010