Fisherman's Retreat

Ramsbottom, England

Fisherman's Retreat Ramsbottom Reviews

sarahelaine sarahela…
Feb 15, 2008
Fisherman’s Retreat is high in the hills behind Ramsbottom, up a rough farm track (so watch out for oncoming jeeps). It serves really good food, excellent cask ales, has an amazing range of whisky (and possibly even whiskey – but I was too busy admiring the Scotch to look for the Irish), and has lovely staff.

You have to follow little painted signs up there, past the cowshed and the fishing lake, to the top car park. The view is spectacular, and it’s worth getting your coat out of the car so you can enjoy it for a minute. The door looks a little like you went in the wrong way. Bear with it. The décor is unassuming, but pleasant, and there are big windows and lots of space. The staff are really friendly, which makes a huge difference.

I had fish that came from their own lake. When it comes to locally sourced, it doesn’t get better. And the quality was really great. The beef comes from the herd you passed on the way up. I’m sure there are vegetarian options, but frankly, I didn’t check. I was too busy wolfing down one of the best sticky toffee puddings I’d ever eaten. My friend Allie goes there every time she has a friend with a car to stay, and says it is consistently this good. There are whisky tasting evenings and you can hire bits of it for private functions. If I marry a Mancunian I want my reception up there.

The only annoyance, I guess, is that there’s no public transport route up. But it would be a pleasant walk in daylight from Ramsbottom; it’s probably a couple of miles. And I would personally say it would actually be worth a taxi ride. Dinner for two, two courses, one of us on the ale and one on the lemonade, came to about £42. Steaks would be more. So not bad for the UK for the quality.
sarahelaine says:
Thanks! To be honest, I've not been back since about 2008 so I can't swear it's still as good, but places like that don't often change that much. My current favourite is the Shoulder of Mutton in Ramsbottom itself.
Posted on: Mar 30, 2013
davidx says:
I shall give this a try - sounds great.
Posted on: Mar 27, 2013

Related Travel Blogs About Fisherman's Retreat

Fisherman's Retreat
On Friday I was pretty much over my hangover and the random pub quiz, and Allie suggested that we go to her favourite restaurant in the world, the Fisherman’s Retreat in the hills above Ramsbottom.…Fisherman’s Retreat in the hills above Ramsbottom.     It was absolutely amazing.   Totally amazing.   Really laid…

Compare Bolton Hotel Rates (9.8km away)

Ramsbottom Map