400 Monroe Street, Detroit, MI, USA - 1-313-965-4600

Fishbone's Detroit Reviews

mslellen mslellen
Greektown restaurant with a New Orleans theme Jun 06, 2010
I've been to Fishbone's before but it had been almost 10 years since my last visit. The restaurant is pretty much the same, very nicely decorated with a huge salt water fish tank that was a hit with our kids since they both have tanks in their homes.

There are two bars,two dining rooms, plus a sushi bar. We ate in in the main dining room, which is my favorite part of the restaurant. It's very clean and well maintained. The huge bars are beautiful and well stocked.

Our group ordered the alligator bites for an appetizer which are heavily breaded, but still good and served with a spicy sauce. Warm rolls were also served with a whipped herb butter.

Chad and Heather had the ribs, full orders, which they consider a double. Unfortunatly the waitress did not explain that the sides were also doubled and that you could choose two different ones instead of getting twice of much of one. So they both received a double order of mashed red skin potatoes - neither were happy about how that worked out. I tried the ribs and they were okay. The meat easily came off the bone, however they were dry and overcooked. Not the best ribs I've ever had.

Steve had the Jambalaya which I also tried. It was VERY spicy, with small pieces of Andouille sausage and small shrinp. It was a large serving. Steve likes spicey food, but couldn't eat much it was so overdone.

Doug and I both had the Crawfish Etouffe which has always been my favorite meal from here and I was excited to have an opportunity to order it again. Unfortunatly I was sadly dissapointed. I doubt there was even a 1/4 cup of crawfish in the dish and they were all very small. I was also sure that the last time I had it there was at least one whole crawfish as garnish (I remember it as several) It was basically a 1/2 plate of rice with a spicey gravy. There were a few green peppers, celery and onion in there but even that was pretty limited and the vegetables were really mushy.

Sarah was the winner here. She ordered the Pasta Orleans which has shrimp, crab meat and crawfish in a cream sauce. I also tried her meal and thought it was very good.

For dessert we shared a Banana Foster Sundae and a Creme Brule.

Although the restaurant was expensive, I did notice when writing my review that they did not charge us for at least 1 beer and 2 mixed drinks, which was good since they too were overpriced. We were also charged for catfish, which we dd not have, and never billed for the alligator. They also automatically add 18% gratuity for parties of 6 or more.

Fishbone's is okay, but I probably would not go back here again. It's overpriced for the food and for a place featuring cajun style seafood what you actually receive is a lot of filler.
Open kitchen
Look how huge Steve's hand looks!
Full order of ribs
Pasta Orleans - the best of our me…
bernard69 says:
great review that gives me another reason to hate fishbones(and mosquitoes)!
Posted on: Jun 09, 2010