Firework and Parade in Chinese New Year

Tsim Sha Tsui, Hong Kong, Hong Kong

Firework and Parade in Chinese New Year Hong Kong Reviews

pammy_robertson pammy_ro…
been there done it, won't go again Apr 25, 2015
It was my first chinese new year in Hong Kong and my mum was visiting so we decided to take in the cathay pacific parade which was on the 1st day of the CYN celebrations. I had tried to get tickets for the small seated area at the start of the parade but unfortunately were sold out. So we decided to go early pick a spot on the side of the road to watch, we got there maybe 1.5hrs before the start, we got a great spot at the barrier and the people started to gather behind us.

Nearer the start of the parade we discovered that there were too many people, the police kept letting people through but there was no space on the pavements and people ended up in front of us on the road, so we waited 1.5hrs for some rude people to show up last minute and stand at the front. a girl behind me complained to the police who responded 'we can't control the people' that's reassuring.

The parade itself was a bit disapointing, some floats and costumes were great, others seemed a bit pointless. There was time gaps between some events. I found the parade at Disneyland to completely blew this out the water. We decided to leave 15 mins early to avoid the stampede to the MTR afterwards.

My first CYN in HK, I've done it, ticked it off the list, next year I'll use my holidays and go away. If you are in HK over the festive period and want to see the parade purchase tickets in advance for the seated area, especially if you have little kids or are uncomfortable in ridiculously crowded spaces.

Check Hong Kong Hotel Deals