Finnish nature

Finland

Finnish nature Reviews

Jinjy Jinjy
Experience the nordic nature in Finland by summer Aug 22, 2012
I thought it would be nice to write a little something about my own country. I've been wandering in Finnish forests since I was born and my opinion is that if one ever travels to Finland, they must experience the wilderness as a real Finn! So here is my advice.

First of all, one must know that you can practically go on a walk/hike freely everywhere in Finland. We have this law that gives everyone a permission to go by foot in the forests, even if the lands are owned by a private person. Just remember to take your garbage with you and do not make a fire (if you find a resting point with a fireplace then use it!) it is also recommended to use paths - for your own safety and to prevent damage on the flora.

If you're in a national park there are some more rules depending on what park you're in.

It is a good thing to keep quiet, as it is possible to spot deers, moose, hares and a wide range of different birds. Finnish nature is diverse! Make sure you have the best opportunities to experience it.

Always keep a map, a compass, bottle of water and a full charged cellphone with you when going alone and taking paths not marked on a map. It is easy to get lost and never found. Remember this especially in Lapland!

There are lots of edible things growing in Finland's forests - and they're all free to be picked up by anyone! Tons of this all natural and organic goodness is left rotten in the forest annually as there's not enough people to pick it up. Here are some examples of what you can find depending on different months:

June - Wild strawberries

July - Cloudberries, blueberries, some mushrooms

August - Blueberries, mushrooms

September - Cranberries

Please be careful with the mushrooms as some are very poisonous and can cause serious conditions. Always wash your hands after picking random mushrooms! This is the first thing we Finnish kids learn.

Fishing is quite limited - you may only angle and ice fish freely during winter. If you use any other method you'll need a permission that costs quite a lot. I'm not sure if these permissions are available for foreigners.

I hope these advice come handy for someone and also if there's any need for more information I'll be more than happy to help.

To sum it up:

- Don't leave garbage after you

- Only make fire on marked spots

- Keep a map and compass with you

- Enjoy!

Things like wearing good shoes and bringing enough water with you should be evident ;)

Happy exploring :)