Finca La Flor de Paraiso

La Flor, Costa Rica

Compare Turrialba Hotel Rates (9.4km away)

Finca La Flor de Paraiso Reviews

kelleb kelleb
Volunteer work on an organic farm Dec 16, 2008
Organic Farm in the small village of La Flor south of Cartago. Found out about it online while searching for somewhere to do some sort of volunteer work in CR.. sadly unfortunate events affected my stay here as I found out my Grandma had passed away the morning I arrived to the farm.. I was already sad to leave MA where I left good friends I had made.. I basically forced myself to go to the farm because I really wanted to do some sort of volunteer work and had planned on doing so while planning this trip. Had decided to spend about a week there before Christmas. So on my way leaving MA I literally cried, which was the first time on my trip which was weird.. so left sad & spent the night in Cartago before getting to the farm. Woke up in the morning checked online things in the morning to find out my Grandma passed away which obviously made it worse. So anyways point being if those things didn't happen I may have stayed longer. Plus I got there and it rained all day every day. However in the end I did enjoy my time on the farm. I believe it was $20/day, which at first I thought was high to pay to do work, but really if you look into it it is worth it and you can barely find anywhere to work for free. You wake up and have breakfast at 7:00 am, (and everything you eat is organic food made on the farm!) then work 7:30 until like 12:00.. the first day I worked weeding, planting etc.. which was kind of a pain in the ass at first haha but in the end was worth it ! (does that make sense??) haha anyways then lunch until 12:30.. then I paid $10/day to take a Spanish class with a local guy for a couple hours and then supper ! The food was the best food I had while in Costa Rica. So good! The woman that runs the farm is from Germany and kind of crazy but very nice ! Workers on the farm are local Ticos, most do not speak English which was kind of disappoiting to me that we couldn't really converse.. I realllly need to improve my Spanish !! A man and his wife who does the cooking work there and live up the street and their little daughter would come there after school she was adorable! I was there the week before Christmas so she was bringing home cute stuff she had made and one day I could hear "I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas" coming from down the road.. it wasn't in English but it was the same tune! I thought it was funny since they have NEVER seen/had a White Christmas! Anyways so the second day I worked on the compost in the morning (which I actually liked !! I was looking to do some manual labor..) but it was interesting to learn about the farming techniques.. my third day I worked in the Kitchen in the morning to help make lunch which was really fun ! Overall it was a good experience, it was just unfortunate with the prior events and coldness. The views though are beautiful in the area - very mountainous! And really cute local little towns which I enjoy that culture. It worked out well where I took a taxi with the other volunteer (did I mention there was only one other volunteer there too an older man?? nice guy but kind of disappointing..) to San Jose and they dropped me off at the bus station back to Manuel Antonio before taking him to the airport. In the end it was a good experience !
Day 1: Weeding, Digging, Planting
View farm part of the farm
Day 2: Compostera! Basically just …
La Cocina
Aopaq says:
Despite the sad circumstances, it sounds like a great experience that I think you may well look back upon later and even appreciate more. I have always found doing manual labour such as planting, weeding, picking (and probably even composting) is a good time to reflect on one's life.
Posted on: Apr 05, 2010

Compare Turrialba Hotel Rates (9.4km away)

La Flor Map